Wednesday, January 7, 2015

January Stash Bee 2015 - Hive #3

January Stash Bee Hive #3

Hi Everyone!  Happy 2015!!!

What a great month to be in Hive #3!!

I'm Bonnie from Arizona!  Ruth has sent out a terrific request for a fun block this month!  She is compiling a library/bookshelf quilt!  And WE get to choose what we can send her!  What fun!  We picked any topic and added an object for the bookshelf.

So, although I've lived in Arizona for almost 16 years, I grew up on the east coast and visit New York City at least 4 times a year.  And when I go, I'm no longer a tourist. I hang out at neighborhood places, ride and know the subway system and have a local quilt shop where I can spend hours - even if I don't buy fabric!

What did I chose?  A travel block...specifically, a trip to New York!  These fabrics are some of my favorites!  (Available from The City Quilter in NYC and on line) Plus the adorable worldly Matryoshka dolls!


Ruth also wanted us to share about our first quilt.  Although I have been sewing since I was 10, quilting came onto the scene about 5 years ago when I took a class way above my beginning level. Not knowing a thing, I made this mini:

 I used scraps and then I embelished with beads, too.

...but my first BIG quilt was last year.


It started out as a 36 x 48 lap quilt made with "scrap" fabrics I didn't really like.  That changed fast!! 

(I also learned how to quilt on my home machine the hard way!)

What fun!

Can't wait to see everyones blocks and then the finished top!!



No comments: