Sunday, May 1, 2016

May Hive 4 Tutorial


Hello Hive 4!  I am Rose and I am excited to be Queen Bee this month.  I am busy making 4 quilts, 3 for my  brothers and a the 4th is for a good friends husband. They all were in the service in the 60's and are my Brave Brothers. So these quilts are for them. 
This is my 2nd year in Stash Bee. Last year I requested the block that Katie did in January.  It is a great star block and I love it.  I have found another great star block that I am using for my next quilt.


This is the Nordic Star.  This is from Julie Cefalu of the The Crafty Quilter. Her instructions shows this as a small block and a 13" block.  Please make the 13" block.


  I  have made up a few of these in blues and white (one in red).  I used white on white for the background and dark navy blues and a blue and white or a lighter blue for the stars.  . Please use a white on white or just a plain white.   

It really isn't a hard block.  It goes together quickly the only problem I had with it was that 1" center square kept getting lost. 

The cutting instructions for a 13″ (unfinished) Nordic Star.  Assembly is on The Crafty Quilter , but you can press your seams to the side instead of open!  When you make the corner units (step 2), you will sub-cut your strip into 2″ units.  The hst’s need to be trimmed to 3 1/2″.

  • Dark Blue Fabric:  (4) 4″ squares, (1) 1″ square, (1) 2″ x 9″ rectangle
  • Blue white Print Fabric:  (4) 4″ squares
  • White Fabric:  (4) 4″ squares, (4) 2″ x 3 1/2″ rectangles, (4) 1″ x 6 1/2″ rectangles, (1) 2″ x 9″ rectangle.



So have fun with this...no stress.  I will be putting a  2" strip piece between them so if they are a little off it will be fine.  


This is the quilt top I made up from last years Stash bee blocks. I love it.  Thanks! I just have to get it quilted.  I was in hive 9 last year.


8 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful star block...

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

Great block and I love that you gave the block name too

Julia said...

What are your preferred colors?

Rose Braun said...

Blues are what I am going for. Navy prints for the dark point, blue and white prints or lighter blue for the other side. A white on white or plain white for the back ground. These are for men so not to flowery.
I am excited I love this block.

Rose Braun said...

The picture of the 10 blocks shows the colors that I used so far. Have fun.

Julia said...

Great thank you.

Toni said...

Thanks for showing your quilt top from last year's blocks. It turned out really well!

Rose Braun said...

Thanks Toni, I really love this quilt top. I just decided on the 4th quilt and love them all.