Monday, May 1, 2017

May tutorial - hive 5

Greetings,

I'm Beth, software engineer by day, quilter by night.  I live in Western NY where today it's 42F, but tomorrow's forecast is 81F.  I've been married 28 yrsand have one grown son.

This is my first year in the Stash bee and I'm really enjoying seeing and making everyone's blocks.  For my block I've chosen this
I'd like a solid for the geese and a bright print for the background.  The unfinished block size is 8.5".  The unfinished geese are 2-1/2" x 4-1/2".

Here's a link for 4 ways to make flying geese.


http://blog.shopmartingale.com/quilting-sewing/how-to-sew-flying-geese/

For the fast and furious method you'll need 1 solid 5-1/4" square, 4 print 2-7/8" squares and 2 print 2-1/2" x 8-1/2" rectangles.



For the flip, flip, and finish method you'll need 4 solid rectangles 2-1/2" x 4-1/2", 8 2-1/2" print squares, and 2 print 2-1/2" x 8-1/2"rectangles.


I used both methods depending on the size of my scraps and whether the print was directional or not.  Both methods are quick.  
This past week was particularly frustrating at work, so each night I sewed a block to restore my sanity.  Here are a few-

Have fun and thank you.