Monday, May 1, 2017

Hive 9 Tutorial, May Block - Cats

I'll be making a cat quilt for my daughter.  This is a very easy block to make and you can see each step on the Missouri Star Quilt tutorial https://www.missouriquiltco.com/land/tutorials/pins-paws-cat-quilt/index.html

Your cats can be any color but please use either a white on white low volume background or a light blue or light blue low volume background.  Cats can be facing either way.  I have posted pictures below of my blocks. A block will consist of two cats.  Finished block size is 9 1/2" square for one cat and when stitched together they are 9 1/2" x 18 1/2".

It took me approximately 15 minutes for each block, including cutting time.  It's a very easy block to make.

The video at Missouri Star is very complete and I've also added my instructions here to make one cat:

Begin with a 10 x 10" block of print fabric.  Cut that in half so you have 2 - 5" x 10" rectangles.  From the first rectangle, trim 1/2" off the end making the block 5" x 9 1/2".  Set this rectangle aside.

With the second print rectangle, cut 3" off the end.  Now you have a 3  x 5" piece which is the cat's head, set aside.  Next, cut a 2 1/2" piece from the end of the second print rectangle so that you have a 2 1/2" x 5" piece.  Cut this piece in half and you have 2 - 2 1/2" squares which will be the cat's ears.

From your background fabric cut a 5" wide strip.  The pieces you will need to cut from this strip are: 1 - 2 1/2" square (tail), 1 - 5" square (piece above the back and tail), 1 - 2 1/2" x 5" for the ear area.

Iron your 2 1/2" blocks in half on the diagonal. Follow the Missouri Star video for placement or the pictures I have posted below.










I will be on vacation the last week in May, so if I receive your block during that time and you don't hear from me you will know why.  I'll post what I've received as soon as I return from vacation.

No comments: