Friday, January 1, 2016

Hive 4 January Tutorial

Hello fellow bees!  Welcome to the 2016 Stash Bee!  If you haven't participated before, you are in for a fun year!  If you have, welcome back!  You know the fun in store :).


My name is Katie,and I get the privilege of being your Hive Mama this year.  Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions/problems.  I look forward to the creativity in store this year!

For my block this month, this star pattern, used by a few people last year, has really caught my eye.  I've wanted to have a quilt made in red and white for a while.  This provides the perfect opportunity!  You can see in the tutorial all the steps, but I have provided a simplified version below.


Cutting instructions:

Background 1 (white):
4 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" stripes
4 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" squares

Background 2 (white):
4 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" strips
8 2 1/2" x 1 1/2" strips

Main 1 (red):
8 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" squares
8 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" squares

Main 2 (red):
8 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" squares

For nine-patch
4 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" squares of white
5 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" squares of different reds (can use same as Main 1 and 2, but would also like different reds

Construct the nine patch block first (pressing seams towards the darker color), then mark a line from corner to corner on each of the squares of the main red colors.  You will then sew the red squares as follows:

Main 1 2 1/2" go on each side of Background 1 6 1/2" strips

Main 1 1 1/2" go on Background 2 1 1/2" strips

Main 2 2 1/2" go on each side of Background 2 4 1/2" strips

(press all seams towards the darker color)



The trick to sewing all these corners will be to make sure that you sew them at the appropriate angles (see pictures).

Once you have all the pieces together, it becomes very easy to put them all together!




And now, answers to the questions!

1.  Katie C.
2.  Hartford, CT
3.  I grew up in Clemson, SC, and that's where my parents and siblings still live.
4.  I have one kitty cat named Mietz.
5.  I've been quilting for 6 years.  I started with T-shirt quilts and have moved to other types of quilts.
6.  I have knitted and done cross-stitch, but my favorite crafting/creating besides quilting is home remodeling.  I re-did my bathroom last year and love it!
7.  I really like the Camelot Design Studio, especially the Zoey line.
8.  Machine quilting, though I will have a go at hand quilting this year.
9.  I only have Facebook, but would be happy to be friends!
10. Not just one book, but the Outlander series is absolutely my favorite!
11. I just finished watching The Newsroom, and love it!!!

Hope you have fun!!

1 comment:

Rose Braun said...

Happy New Year! I love your choice of block. This is my favorite block. I wanted to make one in red to add to my blues. Now I can see if I like it. Thanks for being Hive Mama. It should be a great year.
Rose