Thursday, June 1, 2017

Hive #4 - June Tutorial - Pineapples

Hello Hive #4! I am Alison, I blog at Little Bunny Quilts, and in a past life I ran this bee! I live in MD with my husband and two bunnies, Clara and Frankie.

I'm attempting to cut down on my number of WIPs this year, so instead of asking for blocks for a new project, my request is actually the same request as last year -- pineapple blocks!

My original post/tutorial is here, but I will just put everything here too. I also added a picture of all of the blocks that I received last year for your inspiration.

For fabrics, feel free to go scrappy but stay away from large prints, since the squares are 2 inches when finished. I found that small to medium scale prints or tonals worked best. Here's my fabric pull:

For background, use a bright white fabric (not off white!)-- a solid or a white on white print is preferred.

Cutting:
16 - 2.5 inch yellow squares (use at least two colors)
2  - 3 inch yellow squares 

4 - 3 inch green squares (use at least two colors)
2 - 2.5 inch background squares
4 - 3 inch background squares


Pair your 3 inch squares together as follows to make half square triangles:

Yellow + white  -- make two pairs -- for a total of 4 yellow/white HSTs
Green + white -- make two pairs -- for a total of 4 green/white HSTs
Green + green -- make one -- use two contrasting greens! -- for a total of 2 green/green HSTs

Trim each HST to 2.5 inches.



Lay out your 2.5 inch squares as shown below.



I found it easiest to sew my squares into rows of four first. I then ironed each row in opposite directions so that it was easy to match the seams (which there are a lot of!). Sew your rows together. Your block should measure 8.5 inches wide and 14.5 inches long.




Here are all of the blocks I made/received last year:



Can't wait to see these sweeties in my mailbox!

3 comments:

Rhonda the Rambler said...

I can't wait to make some pineapples- but I may have to fight my daughter off the ones I make!!

Anonymous said...

I see my block from 2016 Stash Bee!!!

Bethany said...

I'm super excited about this one!!