Friday, June 30, 2017

Hive 7 July Tutorial

This marks the 3rd year that I have been a part of the Stash Bee swap and every year I find new blocks that I love (and honestly a few that I dread). The block that I have chosen for this month is one that I made for a hive mate last year and I really loved how her's turned out so I decided that this year I wanted to use the same block but in different colors. 

My color inspiration is this castle scene that I found online 
by Zutto, I love the harmony of colors here, although the below color scheme forgot to include the lightest shade of blue and purple in the sky
For the block you will be using an assortment of bright purples, Fuchsia pinks, teal, bright blues and bright greens to create the geese and low volume white and light grey for the background, no color mixed in on the background fabrics please. 

When I pulled a fabric representation it translates well with many of my favorite designers -- Tula Pink, Alison Glass, Anna Maria Horner, Cotton and Steel an Lizzy House.

I've chosen the Migration Block -- My hive mate Carolyn wrote a great tutorial last year and if you follow her steps you can't go wrong. 
Migration - a bee block - Displacement Activity
Now I know how flying geese are, people love them or they hate them but there are plenty of tutorials and different ways to make them so usually there is a method that works for nearly everyone. The finished geese are -- Large 8.5 x 4.5, Medium 4.5 x 2.5 , Small 2.5 x 1.5 --and I am open to using which ever method works best for you. If you have any leftover geese or half square triangles, they are welcome to fly on over to my house as well because I know they will come in handy. 

Here's my first blocks, one completed and the other just needs assembly. 

I can't wait to see what all you talented ladies come up with, if you have any fabric choice questions feel free to message or tag me on Instagram @karmawillow or drop me an email. 

No comments: