Thursday, February 1, 2018

Hive 6 February Tutorial - Scrappy Sister's Choice

Hello, Hive 6. My name is Lori, and I live in beautiful Prince Edward Island, Canada. In addition to quilting, I also love to knit, crochet, and cross stitch. There are never enough hours in the day. I work at a resort from May until October, and the rest of the year I am free to pursue my hobbies. This year I am determined to work on UFO's and not start any new projects, so I dug deep into my tote of unfinished projects and found my sister's choice blocks.
Here is what you need to make one block:
1. 2 1/2" squares for 9 patch - 5 of one color and 4 of another color. Your 9 patch can be any colors you like.
2. Neutrals - you will need 4 - 2 1/2" squares and 4 - 2 1/2 x6 1/2" rectangles. For my blocks I used a different neutral for each piece, but if you don't have that much variety, maybe you could use one neutral for the rectangles and another for the squares. As you can see, I use a very broad definition of neutrals.
3. Star Points - 8 - 2 1/2" squares of brown. Any brown, light or dark or patterned, it doesn't matter, as long as it reads brown overall.


Make your 9 patch first.

Once you have your 9 patch made, take your brown 2 1/2" squares and draw a line on wrong side to mark your stitching line.
We are going to use the stitch and flip method to make our star points. Place 1 brown square on top of one of the neutral rectangles, right sides together. Sew on the drawn line, trim your seam, and press. Repeat on the other side of the rectangle. Pay close attention to the direction of your lines.
 Make star points on all four rectangle.
Now it is time to put your block together. Lay your block with the 9 patch in the center and the rectangles on each side, filling in the corners with the 2 1/2" neutral squares. Assemble into rows, then stitch the rows together to finish your block.
Your finished block should measure 10 1/2".






3 comments:

Pam Chamberlin said...

I love this. I really love that I can use up some 2 1/2 inch strips from my stash for this so cutting will be minimal. Thanks!

T said...

One of my favorite blocks!
T

Mary Ann said...

I agree with the above comments... I have the fabric and cutting mostly 2.5" squares is not rocket science so this should be fun and relaxing to make. Good luck on your UFO commitment. It is amazing how quickly they add up. I think I counted 50 at the beginning of last year but I am steadily working on that.

I can't wait to get started.