Thursday, February 1, 2018

February Tutorial for Hive 2

Hello Bee Mates!

My name is Tracy and this is my third year participating in Stash Bee.  I LOOOOVE the 2 quilts I've made from the previous years and look forward to another fun quilt made with friends.

One of the things I most enjoy about Stash Bee is getting to share what is in my stash and to see what is in everybody else's.  So, I try to find a block that will allow you to share some of your personality through your fabric.  This year I've chosen a freebie from Lori Holt, her Vintage TV block.  If you are unfamiliar with Lori Holt, go check out her website beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com , it is full of cute stuff.

You can find her original tutorial here for both a 6" and 12" block.  We will be doing the 12" block with a few small changes and borders.

Lori uses some of her pieced blocks as the center of her TVs, you are welcome to do the same thing if you would like, but I am giving you directions for showcasing a print that represents you, where you live, something you love or just one of your favorite fabrics.

Here is what it looks like:


You will need 4 different fabrics:
* a focus or novelty print for the TV screen (or a pieced block if you would prefer)
* TV fabric - this should be a tone on tone or read as a solid
* TV accents - this should also be tone on tone or read as a solid and be a little darker than the TV, so that it stands out
* background fabric, this should be low volume or light so that it contrasts nicely with the TV (Notice that my background here looks like little marching penguin footprints? That is no accident, those kinds of detail make me smile)

Now let's get started!

First up, chose your focus fabric and cut it at 6.5" x 7.5".



Next, cut your TV fabric.
You will need:

(2) 1.5" x 10.5"
(1) 1.5" x 6.5"
(1) 2.5" x 6.5"
(4) 1" squares


First, sew the 4 1" squares to the corners of the focus print. Trim and press.



Then sew the remaining TV pieces to the sides and top and bottom.


Next, you will need to cut your TV accent pieces.

Cut (3) 1.5" x 2.5" pieces.



From your background fabric cut:

(2) 2.5" x 16.5"
(2) 2.5" x 12.5"
(2) 3.5" x 5.5"
(1) 2.5" square
(2) 1.5" x 8.5"
(1) 1.5" x 4.5"
(2) 1.5" x 2.5"
(2) 1.5" squares
(4) 1" squares


Start by adding the 1" and 1.5" squares to the corners of the TV accent pieces as shown in the photo.


Keep sewing...


Now add the borders and Voila!  A TV!

Now for the antennae.  Lori embroidered hers on and you are welcome to do the same.  I don't love to embroider, so I chose to just sew on some ribbon.  I will leave the antennae up to you.  If it makes you really uncomfortable then you can leave it off completely and I will add some to it later.

I will also be adding some buttons as dials later after it has been quilted.



Sew cute right?

Here are a couple more I have put together.



I hope you guys have fun raiding your stash for something fun!
 And I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Thank you for sharing with me,
Tracy Hansen

@tracysbitsnpieces


5 comments:

Velda at the Freckled Fox Quiltery said...

Such a cute block. I cannot wait to get going on this one.

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

Tracy just started putting the block together. I have it together without the last round of border and my block is already 12 1/2 x 12 1/2. What is the finished size of the block? Is it is 12 1/2 x 12 1/2, I need to go find my mistake. Let me know. Thanks!

Velda at the Freckled Fox Quiltery said...

Mine is 16 1/2” Square.

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

I was hoping that would be the size. Thanks!

Kerry P said...

This is awesome!!