Thursday, February 1, 2018

Hive 5 Tutorial for the February 2018 Heart block

I have chosen this big (16") block. 

Last year I asked my hive mates to make me one in the colors red-pink-purple-lilac.
I received only blocks in the pink-purple-lilac spectrum hahahaha.
The only red block was the one I made myself for the tutorial.

So a new hive, new chances :-)



I would like the colors for these blocks to be RED-PINK- in all their shades.

Also a LOW VOLUME background is what I want for this block.
Now on to the cutting directions:



Cut 4 Low Volume Square blocks each measuring 5″ x 5″
Cut 2 RED blocks each measuring 5″ x 5″
Cut 2 PINK blocks each measuring 5″ x 5″
Cut 3 RED blocks each measuring 4.5″ x 4.5″
Cut 3 PINK blocks each measuring 4.5″ x 4.5″
Cut 2 Low Volume Blocks each measuring 4.5″ x 4.5″



Sewing Instructions:
Draw a diagonal line on the 4 Low Volume 5x5 squares. Place them right sides together on a RED and PINK 5x5"block, stitch 1/4" besides this line on both sides of the line. Cut the line and you have 8 Half Square Triangles.




 (Using 2 Low Volume and the 2 RED squares together make 4 half square triangles)
 (Using 2 Low Volume and the 2 PINK squares together make 4 half square triangles)
 Trim each half square triangle block to a 4.5″ x 4.5″ square.






Lay out all the HST and the remaining squares according to the image below.



Sew each row together to make the block.



And you're done! 

I make 'Droomdekentjes' , comfort blankets for children who are sick or who are in a not so nice place in their life. 
I will mix your blocks with the blocks I received last year and make two Droomdekentjes :-)



I want to thank you in advance for making some girls happy with these quilts :-)


5 comments:

Valorie Webster said...

Big love for a big heart and a good cause! I will be getting to the block soon!

Francis Paul said...

:-)

Becky said...

I have a huge stash of low volume fabrics from previous bees, so I’m looking forward to pulling them out for this block!

Jude said...

Done! sending your way tomorrow. What a fast and cutie block! Have fun finishing this one!

Amy York said...

Hey I think I got it! Thanks Cathleen! I went into internet explorer and it works.