Monday, February 1, 2016

Hive 9 - February Tutorial

Hi fellow members of Hive 9!  I'm Kim and I live in Duluth, GA with my husband of 5.5 years and our 7.5 month old daughter Ellie! We also have a 7 year old lab mix that my husband and I adopted the week we returned from our honeymoon.  This is my 3rd year participating in Stash Bee and I've really enjoyed making lots of different types of blocks over the last 2 years.  It is always nice to made blocks that are outside of your normal repertoire and sometimes you find new blocks to love!

For my block this month, I want you guys to make a block for me that I have actually sewn for others in both of my previous years in Stash Bee.  I loved how their quilts turned out and I decided that I wanted one for myself!  It will be 14" square unfinished and ready to ship to me (13.5" square finished in a quilt top).



This block is definitely a scrap buster with its scrappy mini 9-patches!  So dig out those little scraps!

As for colors, please use white on white prints for the corners.  White solids are OK if you don't have white on white, but please try to avoid low volume prints with color if you can.  And for the mini nine patches, think bright and happy.  I love bold, saturated fabrics and fabrics with a print that read as a single color!  Avoid blacks, browns, grays, etc. (although it is fine if they appear as a small part of an otherwise colorful print).  I also prefer prints over solids.


I cut squares for multiple blocks in this picture!
Fabric Requirements
Corners (white on white)
  • (4) 5" x 5" squares

Scrappy Mini Nine Patches (various bright, happy colors)

  • (45) 2" x 2" squares

Once you have all your pieces cut, lay them out in an arrangement you like.  Then we'll start by sewing together the nine-patches.  sew the blocks into rows first, press the seams, and then join the rows.  Please press all seams open.  And don't forget to line up your seams!



Now you should have (9) 5" blocks to sew into you big nine patch!



As before, I sew the blocks into rows first, press the seams open, and then join the rows.



And then you're finished!


Here is a picture of the finished quilt that Courtney (Mon Petit Lyons) made from the first time I sewed this block for Stash Bee.  Check out her blog post to see more photos!



Thank you in advance and if you really want to clear out your tiny scraps and make more, they are more then welcome!  Those mini 9-patches are a little addicting!  Please let me know if you have any questions!

2 comments:

Allison/Savage Pink said...

Cute block, Kim! I look forward to sewing it for you.

mumziepooh said...

I forgot about this one - I have wanted to make this quilt forever! Love this choice!