Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Hive 4 February 2024 - Scrappy Stripes Block Tutorial

 




Hi I'm Pam and this is my seventh time taking part in Stash Bee.  Stash Bee is the perfect cooperative quilting activity for me--a fun little project each month making my hivemates' blocks, and by the end of the year, enough blocks to create a little quilt for myself.  

My block for February is an easy, modern, improv-style block using a large square-ish piece of background fabric and three wonkily placed stripes.  To make the block more interesting, one of the three stripes will be pieced from small scraps. 

Here's how to make the block:

For background, use a piece of light solid or low volume print, at least 13" square.  To get the size of background I wanted, I laid my 12-1/2" square ruler over a piece of fabric, then roughly cut around about 1/2' from the sides of the ruler.  Don't worry if the edges aren't straight!

Now cut across the background square, either vertical or slightly diagonal--just eyeball it.


Now cut take a strip of any bright solid or print fabric, about 1-1/2" to 2-1/2" wide and at least an inch longer than the height of the background.  The strip does not have to be of even width, it can be wider at one end than at the other. 

Sew the strip to the background to make a stripe.  I pressed the seams toward the stripe, but how you press isn't important for this kind of block.  


Don't worry about the sides of the block being uneven, and don't trim the edges.  Next repeat to add another stripe to the block.



To make the scrappy stripe, find some small fabric scraps that you like and sew them together into a piece long enough to go across the background square.




Once they're all sewn together, press the scrappy piece and then cut a strip from the scrappy column.


Then sew this strip into the block same as before.  For the pieced stripe, I pressed the seams toward the background.  Don't trim the edges.  These blocks are going to be all different sizes, and I'll even them up later.  

Yay, you're done!  Thanks for making a Scrappy Stripes block for me. 💕

Pam 

No comments: