Monday, January 1, 2024

Hive 5 January Tutorial - Pink and Yellow Star Blocks for Stephanie

Hi, I'm Stephanie from Des Moines, Iowa, this is my second year with Stash Bee. I kept changing my mind on what block I wanted to make, but my colors were consistent, pink, yellow, and a low volume. Instead of picking one block, I decided to go with the idea of you selecting your favorite star block using pink, yellow, and a low volume for the background. 

I'd prefer the blocks to be 12" x 12" finished, but if there's a block you love that fits the requirements of Stash Bee, being a max of 16" x 16" finished, and larger than 9" x 9" feel free to use it. 

Here's what I pulled from my stash that I had in mind of colors.

Dark Pink:


Light Pink:

Yellow:

Low Volume:

I prefer prints and blenders, but use solid if you need to. Please no batiks, 1930s, civil war, holiday. I love text prints if you have them feel free to use them! Make sure the fabrics read mostly as pink or yellow. Low volumes can have color in them; if you're using scraps, feel free to use multiple low volume fabrics in your block. 

I've made two star blocks so far for my quilt:
Moonlight Star Block

Double Star Block

There are no issues using these same patterns, I will just make sure they are not placed next to each other in the quilt. For those who need a simple star pattern and don't have time to explore, I'll place a tutorial for the Double Star block at the bottom of this post.

I've made a Pinterest board with a bunch of different star blocks, not all are 12" x 12", if you see one you love, please make it, and I'll make it work. Here's my Pinterest board: https://www.pinterest.com/srbracelin/star-blocks/

If you have any issues with any of the tutorials I provided within my Pinterest board feel free to reach out and I'll try to help!

Thanks,
Stephanie




Feel free to move the colors around so that all blocks aren't the same (with low volume staying the same), but here's what I cut for my block:

Low Volume:
  • 4 squares: 2 7/8" x 2 7/8"
  • 1 square: 5 1/4" x 5 1/4"
Light Pink:
  • 8 squares: 2 1/2" x 2 1/2"
Yellow: 
  • 4 squares: 2 7/8" x 2 7/8"
  • 1 square: 5 1/4" x 5 1/4"
Dark Pink: 
  • 8 squares: 2 7/8" x 2 7/8"
  • 1 square: 4 1/2" x 4 1/2"
Following the tutorial in the link, you'll make 2 sets of Flying Geese for my block, I used the large low volume square with 4 yellow 2 7/8" squares, and the large yellow square with 4 dark pink 2 7/8" squares.



In making the Half Square Triangles, I used 4 low volume 2 7/8" squares and 4 dark pink 2 7/8" squares.




Laying out the block:

And that's all. Feel free to use this block if you don't have a favorite star block or want to try another star block, just make sure to change up the color placement. Thanks!

No comments: