Monday, January 1, 2024

Hive 4 - January - Scrappy Squares - for Debbie

Happy New Year!  

I hope you had a lovely holiday.  This year came up quickly - they say that the days drag and the years fly - I find that so true.  Hopefully this simple block will ease us back into things.


Tutorial

This is a giant 9 patch block and there are lots of ways to do it - this is just one.
Colored blocks should be vibrant and bright.  Try to use a variety of different colors rather than one or two colors.  Limit the amount of white-the blocks should read the color, 
not the white.  Fussy cutting is fun here. 
 It's a good opportunity to use those bold fabrics with big prints.  
Avoid black, brown, pastels, white EXCEPT the middle block. 
 For the middle block, please use white, low volume, tone on tone.  
Please don't repeat fabrics in the colored sections.  

Cut 8 vibrant colored square 5.5"
Cut one white, tone on tone, low volume square 5.5"

Assembly

Lay out your fabrics with the white block as the center block.


Sew 3 strips of 3 blocks. 


Alternate pressing strips up or down.  
This will help you nest the seams when you join them together. 
Finish the block by sewing the 3 strips together.


Finished Block should measure 15.5"


A second example.

Thanks for making this for me.  My goal is to use up some of these scraps - I don't think this will make much of dent but I do have good intentions!

Debbie Grosskopf
 

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Hi Debbie, I’m in Hive 2 but I’d like to make a block for you. Could you provide your address? My email is yuwannaquilt@gmail.com.

The road here in East Tennesseeare not so great….getting crazy snow here…so I probably won’t be mailing until next week.

Thank you.

Sherry V