Monday, January 1, 2024

Hive 7 January Tutorial- A Sort of Half Square Triangle Block in Green for Laurel


January is a good month for quilting. Every month is a good month, really.


This is my second year with StashBee. 2023 netted me two StashBee quilts: 




  1. I still have not figured out the layout of my Queen Bee quilt. I thought I would get 10 blocks in addition to the 10 I had, but I ended up getting 23 instead. I think I've devised a workable plan for that top. Stay tuned.

  2. BUT: In September 2023, I was inspired. I did a 16" finished block in black and white fabric for each month, with a little bee block to round out to 12 blocks. This is my largest quilt to date. I wanted one that had a decent drop on the side.




Now I need a back for this extra quilt top. I love the idea of keeping this quilt, front and back, in the StashBee family, and a reversible quilt is appealing to me.


Inspiration 

I saw this free pattern and thought the block would make a great centre part of the quilt.


We're starting the year off with a simple block. It's scrap-friendly. At least I was able to use scraps. It also may be an opportunity to use up some spare 10" or 5" pre-cuts.


General Instructions

  • Unfinished size: 9.5"
  • Scant 1/4" seams
  • Press seems to the dark side. Do not press open.


Fabrics and Cutting

It's all about the🟩. A green-focused centre piece for a reversible quilt. True greens or closer to teal.  I prefer blue-greens to yellow-greens, but I can work with either. Try to select two greens that both coordinate and have good contrast. Light and dark.

I have fabric for the sashing and borders.



Fabric A - medium or dark green

True greens or closer to teal.  I prefer blue greens to yellow greens, but I can work with either.

Fabric B - light or very light green

Some of these are very light. Anything that will coordinate and contrast with the darker green you choose.

 

 

Fabric C - low volume with a lot of white or white background or that reads as near white, or white on white. Please avoid anything too creamy, as the sashing will have a white background.  

 

Cutting List

Piece

Cut Scrap Sizes

Big Triangle 

Cut one (1) x 10" x 10" 90-degree triangle of either green fabric A or B.
  • a 10" square from a layer cake cut in half diagonally, resulting in two triangles.
  • a scrap about 7.5 inches by 12.5 inches
  • or any other scrap to get to a 90degree triangle that is 10" by 10" by about 14.14" 
Little Triangle Cut one (1) x 5" x 5" 90-degree triangle from whichever green fabric you did not use in piece 1
  • 5" charm square cut in half diagonally, resulting in two triangles
  • from a piece of fabric about 4" by 6.5" 
Little Triangle Frame 1 & 2        From fabric C - low volume
  • Cut one piece 3" x 7"
  • Cut one piece 3" by 9.5"
  • 3" strip at about 17" long sub-cut into the two pieces below 




 



Assembling

In this sample, I have used dark green for the Big Triangle and a light green for the little triangle.

Take the Little Triangle and Little Triangle Frame 1. Sew them together, lining up the framing piece's long side along the triangle's short side.

There should be an overhang of framing fabric as in this image.

Press the seams towards the triangle.

Line up the longer leg along what is not 5" of the little triangle and the other framing piece.

Leave the long ends for now.

Press seams towards the little triangle.

You now have a little triangle framed in low-volume fabric.

Trim the ends - line your ruler along the free edge of the little triangle, as indicated by the black line in the image, right. 

Ensure you are lined up to trim only the framing fabric, not the little triangle.

DO NOT LINE UP ALONG THE POINTS OF THE FRAMING FABRIC - THIS WILL CUT OFF YOUR SEAM ALLOWANCE.

Trim the extra bits of the framing fabric off. 

This will be the seam allowance for this half of the square.

Sew this half of the square to the big triangle. Press to the darker side.

Trim to 9.5" x 9.5" square.
Sample with the greens reversed. 

No comments: