Friday, April 28, 2023

Hive 4 - May Tutorial - Snowflakes







 Hi Everyone -

Happy May Day!

This is my 3rd year in Hive 4 and have made two beautiful quilts which I donated to charities, because that's pretty much where most of my quilts go.  This year, I am going to be selfish and make a quilt for me. I love Christmas quilts and quilts with houses, so when I saw "Snow Village" by Gigi's Thimble,  I bought the pattern.    In reviewing the instructions, I realized that it called for 12 snowflake blocks that should be of different fabrics since all snowflakes are different.   I contacted Amber Johnson, the pattern designer and asked if I could share the snowflake block and she generously agreed as long as I don't share the whole pattern (I won't!) and that I give due credit in all pictures, which I will.   I ask that you include Amber (gigis_thimble) in your posts as well.  

This a very simple block, which only requires two colors.   I'm asking that the background square be as close to snow white as possible.  White on white low volume is fine.  Just try to stay away from cream.  For the snowflakes, I'm asking for something in the tan or beige family.   No batiks please.

For the background, solid white or white on white prints are fine;


For the snowflakes,  here's a few sample that would work from light to dark, no solids please:


 

Fabric Cuts:

Tan:  1 - 21" x 2.5" Strip and 4- 4.5" x 2.5" Rectangles

White: 1 - 21"  x 2.5" Strip and 1- 2.5"Square


Super easy to assemble:

Sew the tan and white 21" strips together on the long side.  Press towards the dark.   Subcut into 8- 2.5" strips and assemble to make 4 - 4 patch units.  Press seam allowances open.

Next, piece the 2.5" white square to the two tan rectangles (middle section) , and assemble the block as shown below:



For top and bottom rows:  Press seam allowances toward the rectangles.
For middle section: Press seam allows toward white 2.5" square.

Sew the rows together and press the seam allowances open.

Block will measure 10.25" x 10.25" unfinished.



Super easy!  Thanks everyone for the help!

Here's a snap of the pattern, so you can get idea of what I'm planning.




Joan




No comments: