Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Hive 6-February Tutorial- Strippy Pumpkin block

Dear Hive 6 Bees,

It is a true pleasure for me to share my favorite hobby, quilting, with you this year. This is my third year in StashBee. I have always been happy with the blocks that every Bee has prepared for me. As you will see below, I am quite flexible for many aspects of the construction of the block. It should therefore be easy! 

For this February block, forget about Valentine’s Day…
Instead, let’s jump right to Halloween!

I have had a Halloween quilt in mind for a while, because it is missing from my “collection”. 

I found this fun pumpkin block idea on craftsy.com. The block is small (8”x8”) and cute! 

A similar block was requested in June 2021 by Carrie in Hive 4 in 2021 (See @lovebugdoodles to see her quilt completed). The block is bigger (14”x 14”) and lovely!

In my final assembly, I hope to break the monotony of repeating aligned pumpkins of the same size. For this reason, I am suggesting these two tutorials, each resulting in a different size block, and ask that you pick the one that works best for you. Small or large pumpkin, please surprise me! I will work with what you give me and may even add a few cats, bats and brooms in the final composition! 

Fabric request:

Pumpkin:

The pumpkin is pieced with six fabric strips. 
  • Each strip should be orange, read-orange or what you think is color appropriate for a Halloween pumpkin! This means purple, brown, gold and even black works, as long as the pumpkin contrasts with the background fabric you choose (more below under "Background")
  • Prints (including Halloween prints), solids and batiks are all good. Bright colors work also.
  • If you have six different colors/fabrics for the pumpkin, then go ahead and use all six! If you don’t, don’t worry. Pick two colors/fabrics and alternate the strips. 
  • Repeat colors/fabric is fine. 

Stem & Leaf: 

  • The stem should be "stem" color, such as brown, grey or black, and again, should contrast with the color you pick for the background.

  • The leaf should be any type of green...as long as it reads green.

  • Both stem and leaf can be solid or prints.

Background: 

Please choose a background color that contrasts with the pumpkin, the stem and the leaf. 
  • Any fall color works, such as light brown and gold.
  • Prints are fine.
  • When in doubt, use solid cream. 
Instructions:

The project has been very well described, step by step, so I let you choose one of these two tutorials:

1- The smaller block from craftsy.com can be found here.

Note: There seems to be a small error in the tutorial with the dimension of a background strip. The one strip 1 ½” x 3” should be 1 ½” x 3 ½”. 

The finished size of this block is 8.5" x 8.5" unfinished (8”x 8” finished)

2- The larger block from the Stashbee blog can be found here.

The finished size of this block is 14.5" x 14.5" unfinished (14”x 14” finished)

Here are the two blocks I prepared already.




Thank you for the time you will spent on this special request. I really appreciate your contribution to my future pumpkin quilt!

-Marie

1 comment:

Nicole Powers said...

So adorable! A Halloween quilt is on my list too. I might crash this block! 😊