Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Hive 4 - February Tutorial - Changing Squares Part Two

Greetings Hive 4 

Two years ago, I asked for blocks based on a painting that I loved. I'd really like to increase the size of the final project, so am asking my 2023 hive to help. This year I'm only asking for parts, not a completed block, to allow for lots of possibilities in placement. 

This is Twelve Fields with Changing Squares (1948) by Richard Paul Lohse (1902-1988). He was a Swiss painter and graphic artist who used position and color to determine the rhythm of group units. 

I designed a block that consists of 3 bands of a solid color and 3 bands of a two (Block A) or three (Block B) color unit. Because this block uses 2.5" strips and squares, it's jelly roll friendly. I hope that this block will be quick, easy and provide you with an opportunity to play with color combinations. 

Block A                                                                                Block B


Please use solids only.  Here's my color pull: black, white, navy blue, yellow, green, orange. Think 1940s colors. The green is the most unique color in this group (mint mixed with a bit of gray).



You have two options for your block design:


#1 Block A with three colors or


#2 Block B with four colors.


Contrast is the thing that makes these blocks sing, so play with your placement and color combinations to achieve the most contrast. You can use the painting as inspiration for color combinations or you can make your selections based on your stash and whims.


 















Once you've chosen your 3 or 4 colors, you will make the following cuts:


A    3 - 2.5" x 14.5" for your solid color bands


B    3 - 2.5" x 2.5" squares


C    3 - 2.5" x 2.5" squares


D    3 - 2.5" x 10.5" strips




Construct the B/C/D units.  


Sew the B and C (2.5") blocks together. When sewing small units together some of you may have experienced what I circled in red in the picture below. The fabric on the bottom gets pulled slightly more than the top (unless you have a dual feed system or use your walking foot for piecing). The best way to avoid this, is to double pin those small units and sew slowly. Even though it's a small discrepancy, it can cause a distortion in the final block.



Please press the seam towards the darker fabric.  



Now join the B/C unit to D. Keep using those pins . . . . . 



Each B/C/D unit should now measure 14.5" long unfinished. 

And you are done! Mail me three B/C/D units and three A units. These should fit nicely into a 4 1/8" x 9 1/2" envelope. In the States, if you use a first class and an additional ounce stamp, you'll have enough postage (if you aren't adding anything else to the envelope). That would be a total of 0.87 if using stamps with printed prices.



These are the blocks I received from seven of my 2021 hive members. You can imagine all the fun I'll have making new arrangements (flipping, mirroring, etc.).



Thank you very much for contributing to my quilt.  Email or send me a message through Instagram if you have any questions.

With much appreciation, 
Cathleen
@KitchKouture


1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Cathleen, would you mind if I used this block for my turn as queen in Hive 1?