Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Hive 2- February Tutorial - Christmas Irish Chain block

Hi Ladies! 

I'm coming to you all from a very chilly Canadian winter. I'm hoping this finds you all healthy and well (and maybe soaking up a little more Vitamin D than I am!). 

For the month of February I am thinking Christmas! I am hoping to make a scrappy Irish chain quilt inspired by this quilt by Monday Morning Designs.

I am basing my block instructions on a tutorial from Missouri Star Quilt Company. This great video tutorial can be found here: How to Make an Irish Chain Quilt - YouTube

The block is essentially 5 nine patches pieced with 4 solid white blocks.



You can make your nine patches using a strip piecing method or by piecing individual 2 1/2 blocks. The choice is up to you! It's a great time to use up some extra jelly rolls or Christmas scraps you may have lying around.

For the colours of this block I am looking for all your Christmas greens and reds. I generally reach for the darker reds and greens. Please no Santas in this block. Natural elements (like trees, poinsettias, wreaths) are very much welcome!

Below are my fabric pulls:



For the background, feel free to use any of your white scraps. White on white or white solids will be great. You can use all the same for your background or mix it up...the choice is up to you!


Cutting Instructions:
1. Strip piecing technique:
red 2 1/2 inch strips
green 2 1/2 inch straps
white 2 1/2 inch straps

2. 20 red/green 2 1/2 inch squares
20 white 2 1/2 inch squares

Block Construction:
Construct five 9 patches in your preferred method of either strip piecing or individual blocks. Please use a scant 1/4 inch seam allowance. Pressing is quilter's preference.

Arrange the block as follows:


I pieced my blocks as strips. One strip set as colour, white, and colour (like below).


The next strip set formed the middle of the nine patch. The order is white, colour, and white ( as seen below).


Then the strip sets are cut into 2 1/2 inch segments. 

Please sew up 5 of these scrappy 9 patches.

To stay within the required block dimensions, I will add the background squares in between the 9 patches.

You should have something that looks like this:


Your blocks should end up between 6 1/4 and 6 1/2 inches square. Don't worry about squaring them up, I'll do that when I piece the quilt together.

Excited to see your blocks!
Thanks so much!

Rachel




No comments: