Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Hive 3 - February Tutorial - Scrappy Bear Paw

 

I've been itching to make a scrappy bear paw quilt for awhile with a black background, and chose this as my block for this month. To make each of the blocks scrappier, I'm going to request that the blocks are sent disassembled to mix them up. This is a free pattern that can be found here

Choosing Fabrics

For the background I'm looking for fabrics that read as black. Black and whites are find as long as they are mainly black. I also have some that have some color in them. Here's one of my fabric pulls for the background (as the first few blocks I made were all with scraps):


For the bear paw "scrappy" and center 1.5" x 1.5" pieces, I would love brightly colored fabrics (no batiks please). I have included some pastels, as they are fussy cut pieces, and these are okay too, but not more than one pastel per block, please. Below is what I cut from scraps for the first few blocks I've made:


As you can see above I really don't have a lot of red, so please feel free to include bright colors that I don't have! 

I don't expect you to use more than the required ten fabrics. Feel free to use one fabric for the background, and as many colorful fabrics up to 9 for the bear paws, they can all be the same if you want as I will be mixing them up once I get them. 

Making the Block

The tutorial is pretty straightforward. Just remember to keep a scant 1/4" seam allowance. I also don't care how you press your seams, as I'll be adding sashing between each of the blocks. 

Here's where the disassembled comes in, just make the 4 sections and include the center skinny sashing off like the image below, I will be mixing the blocks up and using the sashing pieces. Each paw should measure 8" x 8" when sewn.  


Please reach out to me if you have any questions. I really look forward to receiving blocks from you!

Stephanie

2 comments:

Nicole Powers said...

This is super cute and I might have to crash this one!

mumziepooh said...

Well this is the block I am planning for April for my choice! Great minds! I’ll have to crash this to practice!