Monday, March 1, 2021

Hive 4 March Tutorial "Scrap Jar Stars"

 Hello Stash Bee! This month's block is *not* the scrap jar star that is made from the original tutorial from Gigi's Thimble, which you can find here. However, I saw these blocks under the hashtag #scrapjarstars on Instagram, fell in love with the block, and this is modified from that original design. Different size, different construction, same idea!

Hi there, I'm Em. You can find me sharing quilting stuff over on Instagram. I'd love if you would pop over there and say "hello". Since I'm in an Instagram hive, I'll be sharing an IG-friendly version of this tutorial so you can find it easily as you create your blocks this month. 

I've participated in Stash Bee a bunch of years. There's a blue and green stars quilt that is throw size and lives on my couch. My two youngest children have quilts on their beds that were made with the help of Stash Bee, and the quilt on my own bed (kind size!) was even made with the help of my friends in this bee. Another Stash Bee quilt went to live with one of my sweet daycare kiddos when he "graduated" to kindergarten and the 6th is still in bits ... maybe this year it will grow up and become a real quilt!

I thought I would get photos of the ones that still live here, but I waited too long, and now it's the night before I need to post this tutorial and it's too dark to take photos. Story of my life. 

Okay, here's the block. 16.5-inches unfinished, 16-inches finished. 

Dig into your scrap bin and choose scraps in one color. Your choice.

Find some low volume pieces for the background. 

Here's your cutting guide: 

COLOR: 
(4) strips 2.5 x 12.5 inches 

[OR (20) 2.5-inch squares], whichever is easier or makes the most sense for you

plus (4) 5-inch squares

BACKGROUND: 
(4) 2.5-inch squares

(4) 2.5 x 4.5 inch rectangles

(1) 9.25-inch square



STEP 1: MAKE THE MIDDLE OF THE BLOCK

CUT a 2.5-inch square off the end of each 2.5 x 12.5 inch strip of COLOR. Sew the remaining 2.5 x 10 inch strips together along their long edges. 

Subcut perpendicular to your sewn lines every 2.5-inches to create four units that are 2.5 x 8.5 inches. 



Flip the 1st and 3rd units to face the opposite direction so same fabrics do not line up with one another and sew the units back together to create an 8.5 inch patchwork square. 



ALTERNATE: Sew (20) 2.5 inch squares together in a 4x4 grid to create an 8.5 inch unfinished square. 

STEP 2: MAKE THE CORNER UNITS

Sew a 2.5 inch square COLOR to a 2.5 inch square BACKGROUND. Add a 2.5 x 4.5 inch rectangle of background. Repeat three time to create 4 units that are 4.5 inch squares, unfinished. 

STEP 3: MAKE THE FLYING GEESE/STAR POINTS

Note: I'm using the 4-at-a-time/no waste flying geese method here. I don't care how you make these geese if you prefer a different method. They just need to be 4.5 x 8.5 inches, unfinished. 

Draw a diagonal line corner-to-corner on each of the (4) 5 inch square of COLOR. Line up 2 of those squares with the edges of opposite, diagonal corner of the 9.25-inch square of BACKGROUND. 

Sew a scant 1/4 inch away from the line on each side of the line. Cut the block apart on the line. Press the COLOR open (your unit will now look like a heart). 



Place a remained 5-inch square to line up with the corner of the background. The line your drew will go from the corner of the background fabric up through the middle of the "heart" shape. Again, sew a scant1/4 inch away from the line on each side and cut the unit apart on the line. Press open. 



TRIM TO 4.5 x 8.5 inches. 

STEP 4: ASSEMBLE THE BLOCK

It's a star! Patchwork square goes in the middle. Corner units are arranged so that the COLOR is in the outside corner. 



Happy quilting!

Em

No comments: