Monday, February 1, 2021

Hive 3 February Tutorial - Rocky Mountain Puzzle

 Hello Hive 3! My name is Jackie and I live in Oregon. I do not blog but I do share my quilting, knitting, etc. over on Instagram @nwpatchwork. Please come visit!

I have been in Stash Bee several times over the years including the very first one.  The last time I  participated was back in 2018 which resulted in my Maple Leaf quilt. It is one of my favorites and the first "real" quilt that I quilted myself after I bought my new longarm. After a long break, I'm excited to be back sewing with everyone through 2021!!

I have decided on the Rocky Mountain Puzzle  for my block. This has been on my list to make for several years. 


As you can see from my photo I like bright, rich colors with a low volume background.  Please no batiks. To make it easier, you can keep the background all the same low volume print.  It does not need to be scrappy. 

Cutting:

1 -  5" square for the center

2 -  1 1/4" x 5" strips for frame 

2 -  1 1/4" x 6 1/2" strips for frame

5 -  4" squares print

5 -  4" squares low volume

2 -  3 1/2" squares low volume



Assembly:

Sew the two 1 1/4" x 5" strips on each side of the 5" center square.  Then add the other 1 1/4" x 6 1/2" strips to the top and bottom.


To make the HST's, pair up the 4" low volume squares to the 4" print squares.  Draw a diagonal line on all low volume squares and sew 1/4" on both sides of that line. Cut on the diagonal line, press and trim to 3 1/2".  You should now have 10 HST's.



Layout all pieces like the photo.  Take note that the 3 1/2" low volume background squares are in the upper left corner and lower right corner.


Sew the top and bottom HST's into rows.  Then sew the two HST's on each side together before sewing them to the center unit.  Finish the block by sewing the top row to the center unit followed by the bottom row.  You should now have a 12 1/2" block. No need to trim blocks! I can do that if needed.



Here is another one I made.  Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns with the block or fabric choices.  Thank you so much for making these blocks for me.  I can't wait to see what you make.



No comments: