Friday, May 1, 2020

Hive 2 May Tutorial: Black, White & Red Stripe Block


I'm excited to be Queen for this month.  It has been quite an experience over the past few months, and my company is downsizing and eliminated my position.  May 1st is my first day of not working, so it is a special month for me.  I've worked in clinical research for 30 years and I'm not ready to retire, but I am looking forward to taking May and June off before looking for another job.

This is my 6th year in Stashbee, and I really enjoy it.  Some months it is the only time I get behind the sewing machine and I always appreciate the blocks that you all come up with.  Just for fun, I will post the outcome of my past years projects at the bottom of this post.

My ask this month is for a black/red/white stripe block.  I've always loved quilts with only a few colors, but I never seem to make them because there are so many beautiful fabrics out there with lots of color.  So I'm going to change that.



My inspiration for this quilt is this one
https://aquilterstable.blogspot.com/2017/06/thinly-sliced.html
Isn't it gorgeous?  

I put together a tutorial, and the one or the inspiration quilt is here:

Tutorial:
Fabric:
Choose two fabrics, a Solid red of any saturation and a black/white mix.   

Finish at 10 x 10 or 8 x 12 or 6 x 14 - your choice

Steps:
1. Cutting the strips:
This is meant to be improv pieced, so angle your strips when you cut starting with a width of 3/4 inch to 2 inches and the other end less.  The length should be either 10, 12 or 14 inch length, but add a bit so you have some room for adjusting when you put the stripes together.

Cut both the black/white piece and the sold red piece in this matter.
The stripes will look like this:



2. Design
When you have cut both pieces of fabric, alternate strips in a pleasing design that finishes in a fairly square or rectangle.  



3. Sew
Sew the black/white strip to the red strip.  Press to the red/dark side. Like this:



4. Keep sewing the pairs together, the amount of pairs will depend on the size of your final block.  Either 10 x 10 or 8 x 12 or 6 x 14:


5. Continue sewing in this manner until you have a bit larger than your desired width.  Do not trim:


Finish at 10 x 10   or   8 x 12   or   6 x 14.  

That's it!


Here are some of my past Stashbee projects:

2019 - Snowball Block:

2018 - Modified String Quilt:

2017 - String Quilt:

2016 - Happy Holidays:

2015 - Rainbow Postage I-Spy (double sided - 12 blocks each side)

http://stashbee.blogspot.com/2015/09/hive-2-september-block-tutorial.html




No comments: