Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Hive 4: January tutorial - Mini Log Medallion








This is a mini-log medallion block.  Actually, two of my other stash bee quilts were variations of a log cabin block as well.  What I like is that you won't get  stressed about points or angles and you can express yourself in this block as well. 

These are actually yellows, but it was very bright in the sewing room. 
First decision……colors.  I want you to show the group your favorite colors and fabrics.  If you’re a “solid” person, then that’s what you choose.  If you love florals, then choose those.  I would even include novelty prints if that’s your jam.   I am not concerned about mixing and matching, it all goes together and if it doesn’t, then I’ll move it to opposite corners!!!!!   My favorite quilts are scrappy and I’ve learned that if it’s just my scraps it is pretty one note, but include others scraps and the party happens.  I’m thankful my local quilting group loves to give me their scraps and I
get to dig through the scrap bag at my local quilt shop as well. 

Here are some pinks I would use.  
To finish off the block you need one dark.  Select a dark black, solid or print, dark gray, charcoal, navy, or eggplant.   Use the same dark for all four corners of the block. 

Second decisions…..Do I have enough of that color?   
You will need four different fabrics in your style and color and from each color you need one 2.5 inch strip at least 12-15 inches long.   I think that fabrics of the same color way, but different value can add motion.  I’m even okay with colors that don’t quite even blend as long as they live in the same color family.  If you don’t have four different fabrics in your favorite colorway, I’m okay with two fabrics used twice. 

For the dark, you need about 30 inches of 1.5 width.  You would need WOF or across a fat quarter two times. 


Now you are ready for Action:
 Cutting:  Dark:   cut (4) 1.5 x 2.5   (4) 1.5 x 3.5




Dark fabric 1.5 inches cut into 2.5 and 3.5 inches, four of each.
One 2.5 square, one 2.5 x 3.5 and one 5.5 from 2.5 inch strips
Colors:   From each strip cut (1) 2.5x2.5 square, (1) 2.5 x 3.5 rectangle and (1) 2.5 and 5.5 rectangle
Save time and stack the four colored strips and cut four layers at once if you would like. 







Construction.  Lay out the four colored squares out and attach the short dark rectangle to one side of all four squares.  Press away from the color, toward the dark.  If you prefer pressing open, I'm fine with that.  




Long dark rectangle to the right of the colored block.
                                











Add the shorter colored rectangle to the right side, Then add the longer rectangle.  No picture, but surely you get it.




Press and sew the four log cabins together like a four patch with the dark fabric on the outside corners.   And you’re done. Block should measure 10.5 inches.  

P.S.  Yellow is not one of my favorite colors, but I'm collecting yellows right now for a table runner to make this spring, so they were handy.
Take a picture and post to Instagram “stashbeehive4”
Fold it, send it and relax.   

No comments: