Monday, October 1, 2018

Hive 4 Tutorial: Granny's Choice Block

Monday October 1, 2018

Hive 4 Tutorial: Granny's Choice Block




Hi everyone! I am really excited about participating in my first quilting bee, and for my first turn as queen!

I live on a farm in southern Alberta, Canada, with my husband and two small children. They all keep me super busy, so I am always grateful for quilting time when I can squeeze it in. I would say that my favorite thing about quilting is piecing the blocks - bonus points if they're paper pieced.  Free motion quilting is a close second. Borders are my least favorite. I like how they look, but find them annoying to put on. :)

It took me a long time to decide which block I wanted to do - I'm sure I've changed my mind a half dozen times. But I managed to make up my mind, and I am asking for a Granny's Choice block. I love the contrast, the geometric design, and the secondary patterns that come out in the whole quilt.

I am asking for the block to be done in white, black and ruby red. I'd really like tone on tone blender prints, but if you don't have any, solids are ok too.  Please try to make the red a medium value so it contrasts nicely with the white and the black. True reds please, nothing too orange or too pink/purple.


Cutting List

Black Fabric (Dark Value)
  • 1 – 11″ square cut on the diagonal twice – this will make 4 triangles –  you will need 2 of these triangles to make one block
  • 2 – 2 ¼″ x 8″  rectangles
  • 2 – 2 ¼″ squares
Red Fabric (Medium Value)
  • 2 – 2 ¼″ x 8″  rectangles
  • 2 – 2 ¼″ squares
White Fabric (Light Value)
  • 1 – 11″ square cut on the diagonal twice – this will make 4 triangles –  you will need 2 of these triangles to make one block
The tutorial is found at:


I've made the block from the tutorial, it's pretty easy to follow. Just watch out for all the bias edges on the triangles. 
Also, please send the blocks untrimmed. Please let me know if you have any questions or problems.

 Thanks everyone!

1 comment:

scraps125 said...

I have never made this block so am anxious to try it. Thanks for a new adventure on my quilting journey.