Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Tu-Na Quilts: Hive 4 Tutorial for August

My name is Karen but I'm also known as Tu-Na or Tu-Na Quilts. I started my blog, Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats, to journal what I do and make and see. I'm often asked about my name. If you're curious you'll just have to click here to read my first post to find out how I came to be known by that and who started it. You can read more about me here and here. If you're liking what you're reading and would like to become part of my family of readers, please subscribe using one of the three ways: Wordpress, Bloglovin, or email, found in my sidebar on my blog.

I'm busily preparing for a couple of trips so I'll be writing this and setting it to schedule. Hopefully, all will go well and it will publish when it's supposed to.

Help!! Last year I was part of a different bee and had requested the Wanta Fanta block. However, I only received blocks from three other members. So I decided I needed to ask for them this year from my Stash Bee Hive members but I also decided to simplify it so you could finish it within the time limits.



This block consists of two snowball units and two X units. I thought I'd simplify this block and ask that you just make the units and not sew the units together as pictured above. Just trim each unit and mail. That will require less of your time and allow me to scatter your units around to create that really scrappy look. I also have alternative ideas listed towards the end of this post for those of you who would rather not do paper piecing and those with limited orange fabrics.

Pattern Location: The free Wanta Fanta pattern can be found here on Blossom Heart Quilts and more info about it here.
Colors needed:

Background: Please use either a solid white or white on white for the background.
Fabrics A, B, C, and D should all be a different orange fabric—any shade or tone except for peach.  I am going for a very scrappy orange look so anything goes such as solids and prints and batiks as long as orange is the main color. 

To make the snowball units and bonus Half Square Triangles:
Cut two 6.5" squares from solid white or white on white.

Cut eight 2.5" squares from orange fabric as listed above.
Directions:

Draw a diagonal line on the back of each of the orange squares and another one 1/2" away. Place each orange square with RST on the corners of each white square.



Sew just a hair's width on the outside of the line towards the corner. 
Trim seam by cutting between the two stitching lines.




Press seam towards corner. Trim block to 6.5" Please make two snowball units.



Here are 4 of those cute, little, bonus HSTs. Please include all 8 of them in the mailing. You don't need to press seams or trim them

To make the X Units: Make sure your printer will be printing at 100%. Print out two pages of the paper-pieced pattern included in the pattern link above. Measure the test box to make sure it is 1" square.
 



The pattern gives approximate fabric requirements but you could use scraps.

Lay paper on top of wrong side of orange fabric (printing should be showing on top) with fabric covering area #1 completely with about 1/2" around it. Pin.



Place this section on top of white or white on white fabric again making sure you have plenty of fabric that will cover #2 area with about 1/2" around it.


Reduce stitch length to 1.5. Sew on the line between #1 and 2 starting and stopping well into the seam allowance. I even sew right off the paper.
I should have continued this sewing line off the paper. This helps keep the seam from unraveling.
 Fold paper back and trim seam allowance to 1/4".




Press on the right side of the fabric (not on the side with the paper to prevent the ink from bleeding). Now lay this section on top of the same white fabric making sure you have plenty of fabric. Sew on the line starting and stopping well into the seam allowance. Even better, start and stop off the paper.


Trim seam. Press. Trim block to 3.5" square.



Please leave papers on. Make 8.
No need to sew them together from here as I can spread them around to add to the scrappiness. Plus this is about all that you can get done in 1.5 hours or so.

Alternative for non-paper piecers: If paper piecing is not your thing (or your cup of tea), please make 2 additional snowball units and forget the X units.
Alternative for those with limited orange fabrics: Hopefully, you have one orange fabric on hand. Just make 16 X units with the same orange fabric or as many as your time allows. But don't sew the units together into a set.
What I Learned Today:
  1. I do not know how to write up a post quickly.
  2. There's a lot to do to get ready for a vacation.
  3. I'm exhausted from all the preparations and definitely need a vacation.
  4. I usually come back from a vacation being tired.

Question: Where's your dream vacation? We'll be heading to see our new granddaughter in Michigan and then we'll hop around Minnesota on the Shop Hop for a bit. By the time you read this, I should have already visited about 30 shops. But our big vacation comes later in the year when we go to Germany and Italy.

I'll be watching for the mail, as soon as I get back from my trip. Thank you very much for helping me add to my Wanta Fanta blocks so I can finish this quilt with lots of orange scrappiness!
Karen, Tu-Na Quilts


 


No comments: