Sunday, July 1, 2018

Hive 3 Tutorial-Michelle Sigmon

Hi Hive 3!!
I am using the same block that I had Hive 8 make last year. I would like you to try to stay as close to one of the color palates that I've chosen.

I've picked a block that I saw on Pinterest, though I didn't waste time looking for a tutorial-I just made mine own up. So bear with me please! I am going to use these blocks for a quilt for my daughter Jacklynn. I was able to make one for my son from a pinwheel block swap on Instagram earlier this summer, so now it's her turn. I have three examples of the color palette that I want to use. They are all slightly different but I love them all and I think a quilt of all palates used will make a beautiful quilt--so choose one and go with it, just try to choose one and not mix them together, and I do not want any white, black or grey as filler. Thank you guys so much!!!
 








I used the last palate for my block and I love it!! To start I cut 12.5" strips of varying widths from 1.5"-3". Piece them together to make a 12.5" by 12.5" square.

 I then rotated one of the blocks to start the sewing. As you can see the strips are going in opposite directions.
 

After pining my blocks together I sewed in the directions of the arrows above, along all 4 sides of the blocks. Be careful when doing this my blocks were shifting, but I was able to keep at it and get them sewn up correctly.

Next we have to cut one block into four blocks



After cutting the block cross wise both ways, I trimmed my blocks to 4- 8.5" blocks. You don't have to worry about sewing them back together, I will do that. I want to be able to mix them up. Here are some different examples on how I will be able to arrange them. 
Thank you so much for your help!!!
Michelle Hargenrader Sigmon

1 comment:

Merrilee said...

Pulling fabrics and I just want to check-- black or no black? There seems to be black in your block but maybe it's just hard to see in the photo? I'll try posting some fabric pics to IG to let you ok them! Thanks,
Merrilee