Monday, April 30, 2018

Tutorial: Garden Fence block for Hive 4


Garden fence
Debbie Huber

I am excited to be the Queen for a month. I am a former teacher turned learning assistant at a middle/high school. So I still get to enjoy interactions and keep my math and reading skills sharp without all the lesson planning and grading. I live in Wisconsin and am ssoooooo done with April. We had 10 inches of snow.  Bring on spring!. It is finally warm this week and we are due for some rain!

It was hard to decide what to pick as a block and what I wanted to do.  So I found this easy block, but decided to change the colorway. 



 Link here:

Here is the block I am choosing: it is called Garden Fence and I got the idea and part of the tutorial from Hyacinth Quilt Designs.  Link here.

My color pallet is medium to light grays,
White solid or tone-on-tone white
Bright crayon colors: reds, oranges, yellows, greens, blues, and purples.  I would like tone-on-tone fabrics that read as a solid. 


Choose one color for your block along with a white and gray.
Your color placement can be with the gray in the middle or the gray on the outside.

Here are the cutting dimensions for one block that finishes at 10" (10 1/2" unfinished):
Center square: 4 1/2" x 4 1/2". Again pick one or the other.

\
Outer rectangles: 4 - 2 1/2" x 3" and 4 - 2 1/2" x 5"  ( Both colorations are shown.)


White: 2 - 1 1/2" x 6 1/2"; 2 - 1 1/2" x 4 1/2"; and 4 - 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" rectangles.


Block diagram: 

To piece the block:
  • Sew the white 4 1/2" and 6 1/2" rectangles to opposite sides of the center square.

  • Sew the white 2 1/2" rectangles between 2 outer rectangles; add these to the center pieced square. 

I pressed all seams away from the white to either the color or the gray. 


. Easy! Easy!  I was able to cut and assemble all four blocks in 2 and a half hours.  You only have to make one!  Finished size is 10 and a half inches.

Here is an example of what it looks like with 4; squares:  I am going to add white sashing in between.


This quilt will be for my grandson:    Thanks so much for helping to make it.  I hope you enjoy this easy block. 

  ( He is in front of his grandpa, his favorite person, and he has just graduated to a twin bed. )

2 comments:

scraps125 said...

I love this block. This will be fun.

Unknown said...

Oh this looks so fun. I can only imagine how much your grandson will love the bright colors.... Thank you for a great block