Thursday, April 30, 2015

Hive Six April 2015 block for Nicole

Hi this is Julia S (the other Julia of Hive 6).  I love polaroid quilt blocks so much but I hadn't got around to tackling them until this month.  Nicole's post was great. I loved that she made her own paper piecing pattern and that you could make tilted blocks.

I went overboard making blocks.  I have a stack of "windows" at home waiting for me to start stitching.  This was also my roommate's favorite quilt block of the bee (so far).

I did a mix of solid gray and patterned gray.  On a whim I bought a layer cake from Kona in "silent film." It's all shades of gray. I haven't done much with the layer cake but this was the perfect time to whip it out.

Here are the 10 blocks I made (one set of 4 and a set of 6).  


And here is a close up of each set

I love them all so much. I think my two favorites are the clock from the upper right blocks and the dancing calacas from the lower left.  I made a queen size quilt using a variety of day of the dead motifs and it was nice to use the scraps.

It's so hard to pick what the best thing I've made is. I do garment sewing, costume sewing, knitting, cross stitch and other crafty fun.  The thing I had the most fun sewing recently was for a saucy swap.  I took fabric of hunky guys & did trapunto quilting to highlight certain areas. I could not stop cracking up when I was sewing it. It's completely ridiculous.

But I think the actual best is this quilt I made for my niece.  She's my first niece (my brother's daughter) and I am absolutely crazy about her. This is not my most elaborate piece by any means but that wasn't the point. The fabric is super soft & cozy (brushed cotton & flannel). Right now her parents are using it as a play mat in the nursery. It's filled with intense auntie love which makes it the best.

1 comment:

SewCroom said...

Your niece is absolutely adorable!!! Love the quilt too ;)