Thursday, April 2, 2015

April Block for Hive 1

Hello! I'm Liz, and I blog at Green Cheese Quilting.

 photo portrait150_zpsd2d1879a.jpg
It's me!
First of all, my apologies for my tardiness. I just moved out of my apartment in Brooklyn, and today I'll be leaving for an Eastern European Adventure for the next two months! Very exciting, but some things have fallen by the wayside.

Anyway, I was thinking that this month I'd like to get you guys to try a little paper piecing. I've been thinking about doing a crane quilt for a while, and this is the perfect opportunity to get a little diversity in the crane fabrics!

Here's a link to the paper pieces you will need to print: http://siterepository.s3.amazonaws.com/409/crane_templates.pdf


You will paper piece each section, then join A+D, next AD+E, next C+B, and finally ADE+CB. 


I'd like the background to be scrappy low volume fabrics, whites and creams are fine. For the body of the crane I'd like something a bit muted, if possible, but not childish (meaning no novelty fabrics geared specifically at babies). I'd like to aim for a more blue/teal palate, but if you've only got pinks or yellows or lavender (or other colors I don't know the name of!), then go for it. I'm sure I'll find a use. 

It looks like the block is about 6.5" square, which is fine. I haven't made it yet, but just print the templates at 100% and I'm sure I'll be able to work with whatever lovely blocks you send my way. 


No comments: