Monday, April 2, 2012

Hive 4 - April Block

HIVE 4 BLOCK FOR APRIL 2012

 

I saw this block in EQ6 where it is called Arbor Window and I've been playing around with it for a while thinking that I would make it 12" for a quilt.  A few weeks ago I saw the block posted in someone's flickr photostream along with a link to the tutorial for the block at 8-1/2" and it was called the Granny Square Block.

 

So last week I decided to follow the tutorial and I love the block at the 9" (8-1/2" finished) size.  I made two blocks with purple to show you exactly what I'm looking for. 

 

EXAMPLE 1

The darker color, in this case red-purples, in the outside squares to make the block really pop on the Kona white background.  The inside squares are green pulled from the green in some of the purple squares.  The center square does have green and purple in it, or could be just another green square.

There are three colors in this block because I had to use the Good Fortune butterflies (aqua bodies) and the Aviary (turquoise branches).  I would like to keep each block as close to only the two colors being used as possible.  A little touch of one other color in a few squares would be okay.


Here is the information for the block.

1.  Background - Kona white.
2.  Rainbow colors (please no browns, black, grey, etc) with darker color in the outer squares and lighter color in the inner squares.  No juvenile or whimsical prints please.
3.  Please don't trim the block when you have finished sewing it.  It's not that I'm doubting your mad cutting skills, but every ruler doesn't measure 1/4" exactly the same.  Strange but true and I've messed myself up using different rulers.   I would like to use one ruler to trim the blocks down for the seam allowance so I don't lose any points.

The link for the tutorial is here at Blue Elephant Stitches.  Jolene did a wonderful job explaining and providing pictures.  It is a very simple block to put together, but the results are beautiful.  I would love to have two blocks if anyone has the time, and will be using the extra ones to make a Project Linus quilt.

If you have any questions please e-mail me at fabricaddict@verizon.net.  I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and to see what each of you creates.
Angie

 

16 comments:

Kelsey said...

Can't wait to get started!

Paskiaq said...

Love this block! Just to confirm, you don't any solids or pattern repeats right?

Also, do you mind if I use a variation on Jolene's tutorial that uses triangles instead of square for the kona white so there are no bias edges on the outside edges of the block: http://traceyjayquilts.blogspot.ca/2012/02/setting-triangles-for-granny-and-mommy.html

I've been curious to try it but am fine with sticking with Jolene's tutorial if you'd prefer. :)

So excited to start working on this!!

Cyndi said...

Fun. I just made 12 of those for myself! Now I get to make more. I really like this block.

Seamsewcountry@blogspot.com said...

Wow, I really love that block in the purples and yellow!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cecillia. I haven't used the other tutorial, and I know with this tutorial I can trim the 1/4" seam allowance myself. I would rather everyone use the same tutorial at Blue Elephant Stitches.

roccagal said...

Yippee-I luv this block and I have been wanting to try out Jolene's tutorial but I forbid myself to start anything else as I am already committed!!
Now I have no choice-poor me-LOL!!!
I just ordered some Kona white and while I am waiting I will try some blocks out in my colors, just to be sure my technique is perfect!

Anonymous said...

Solids and Repeats.
No solids please, and repeats are okay as long as there is a pattern to it. I'm going to post another block I made to show what I mean. I hope this helps.

Mandy Todd said...

Nice block! I've been cutting and saving 2.5 inch squares for quite a while (in addition to swapping them), so I'm glad to have a project to be forced to use them in, rather than just collecting them :)

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

Excellent! I've been looking at all the gorgeous Granny Squares popping up in blogland, and this will be the perfect excuse to make some!

Anonymous said...

I'm not in your hive but I love these blocks and would be happy to make one for you if you'd like :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Tara I sent you an e-mail. Thank you so much for your kind and generous offer. I am using some of the blocks that I get to make a Project Linus quilt. My guild makes and distributes them, and I'm trying to make one a month this year.

Cyndi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mandy Todd said...

One block down...one more to go! If my blocks are not what you like, or are sized wrong, just let me know and I will do more.

LYNN said...

What size signature block would you like and on Kona White?

Anonymous said...

I would love a signature block. 3-1/2" white Kona square with your name and location diagonallly through the middle.