Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Hive 4 October for Emily - Halloween Star

Hi!

Halloween is my favorite, and this block will be helping me finish up a quilt I'm making for my best friend who loves Halloween even more than I do. 


We're going to be doing a quick, fun star tutorial. The block will be 8 inches, when finished. If it's a little off that's okay - these will be sashed.  


This quilt is based on traditional patchwork blocks, but with bright, fun and modern Halloween prints. I've posted several of the general fabrics I've been using, and then my specific pull I've pulled to demo the block. I'd like to keep it to three colors - cream or off white for the background, black and a bright color - orange, pink, or purple. These can be solids or halloween prints, or just a spooky or witchy fabric. My example block, for instance, has little cats, glow in the dark lightning bolts, and a generic pattern for the black. Be creative! As long as you stick to the general color groups (cream, black, bright) you can use whatever you think fits the vibe. 

General Idea for fabrics - witchy, halloween adjacent, bats, cats, tarot cards, anything fun!
















My pull for the demo block. I've followed all of the instructions on the tutorial above without modification, minus clipping some corners to even things up. Here are my steps of the process. 
Cut blocks.
Adding the triangles
Make one color point one way, the other color in the opposite. Here is where I trim the white so they line up neatly. 
Add the large cream blocks - making sure that the colored triangle is in between the large block and the small triangle from before. 

Trim per the tutorial
Both halves
And done! Excited to see the halloween creativity. 

- Emily

No comments: