Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Hive 7 - October Tutorial - Goblincore Quilt

 Hive 7 - October Tutorial - Goblincore Quilt

Hello all!  I really struggled with what direction to go for my blocks.  I have really enjoyed making all the blocks, trying out new techniques and going down some rabbit holes for ideas.  Some of my rejected blocks included improv, some kind of illusion quilt or a specific block like my favorite the 50/40 or Fight block.  However, I couldn't come up with something that would work well scrappy or with various colors and styles.  

I really liked Meghan's Midnight Garden quilt.  I didn't want to replicate her wonderful idea, but I have been interested in a tangential aesthetic for a while: Goblincore or Dark Fairycore.  It has been called Cottagecore's darker cousin.  I have always been drawn to found object and natural art with a slightly creepy vibe.  Creatures and objects that feature in Goblincore include snakes, frogs, snails, earthworms, skeletons, fungi, ferns and lichens.  I would prefer either animals or ferns over any flower blocks.  I am also into anything dark fae or witchy.  If you don't find anything that you think really fits into the dark fairycore theme, you can also do a more traditionally spooky or Halloween theme.  I just don't want it to be "fall" themed with pumpkins or leaves.  

So we are going again with another sampler style block.  These blocks can be anything that falls into the theme like the animals or objects mentioned above, as well as blocks that use fabrics within the goblin core, dark fairycore or spooky theme.  I am particularly interested in skulls, mushrooms, moths or owls.  The blocks can be any size and technique.  I would like a dark background which can be dark grey, midnight blue or true black either solid or patterned.  The basic goblincore pallet is muted and earthy with deep greens, browns, and greys with pops of rusty reds and oranges and deep purple.  Since shiny objects are also a part of the golbincore aesthetic, you can also use any metallic printed fabrics.  I am pretty easy going though so just have fun.

These are fabrics from my stash that fit the theme pretty well.  Dear Stella had a fabric line called "Goblincore" which is where I first learned about the whole idea.  The frog fabric and the snails are from the line.  









Here are some blocks I made in the past that have a more Halloween theme, but work fine for this.  (Not that I am expecting anyone to make a complicated New York Beauty block!)






Here are a couple of free blocks I found that would also work perfectly.

https://jessicahalpin.design.blog/2021/06/16/super-simple-mushroom-quilt-block/

https://iamlunasol.blogspot.com/2015/08/toadstool-quilt-block-tutorial.html?m=1

https://www.bonjourquilts.com/skull-patchwork-tutorial/


No comments: