Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Hive 1 October Tutorial: Contrast Checkerboard

 Hello everyone and welcome to another tutorial! I am super excited to be queen bee this month and I am looking forward to all the quilty mail!

For my block, I am requesting a 12 inch finished  checkerboard block with two colors. One of these colors should be a bright solid, and the other should be a white solid or blender.

This quilt top shows the high contrast color plate that I'm looking for! I finished this quilt top over the summer and I love the bright colors. ( Please ignore the black and white for the color palette.)


Please avoid any cream toned fabric. I'm really wanting white solids or blenders.

Cut six 2 1/2 strips of the white blender and six 2 1/2 strips of the solid color. The length of these strips should be 14 inches if you want to do this in as few steps as possible.


 I am working with jelly roll scraps so I will be piecing smaller units together.

Sew your strips long sides together


Again, I am working with scraps, but if yours are twelve and a half inches long, you will only need three units at this point.

Sew these units together with the solid color and the white blender alternating.


Press this striped block. Please press the white blender towards the solid.

Then you're going to cut this striped block into 2 1/2 strips like so.

And you're going to sew those into this.



Give a final press and you are done!

The more you press, the better this block will come out. I did not press it before the final photo because it was late when I was making this tutorial!


Thank you very much.

No comments: