Thursday, August 1, 2024

Hive 7 August Tutorial - Midnight Garden Adventures

 Hi everyone!  My name is Meghan (@missprissquilts) and this is my second time participating in the Stash Bee.  I thought for sure I was going to choose a scrappy theme, because I am TERRIBLE at scrappy, so block swaps force me to be random.  But after seeing how creative my hive-mates have been during "Choose Your Own Adventure" months, I decided I couldn't possibly choose one block!  So I hope you'll all forgive me for yet another sampler quilt... over the last few years I've become a very keen gardener, so it only seemed right to choose a garden sampler.  

The Blocks

I'm open to blocks of any size, but ideally in finished sizes that are multiples of 3, so I don't break my brain trying to put them together.  (So unfinished, think 3.5", 6.5"x12.5", etc.).   

As far as design goes, I think anything you'd find in a moonlit garden is fair game, and I love whimsy, so I'm here for a toadstool and gnome, moon and stars, and of course every flower, snail and lightning bug you can imagine.  I found tons of inspiration on Instagram (#midnightgardensal is a treasure trove) and even went so far as to make a Pinterest Board of blocks I found interesting, since I'm sure I'll make quite a few to supplement what my hive-mates come up with.  As you can see from the sample pics I chose, my favorite designs tend to be FPP, but any technique you like is fair game!



Colors:

I'm envisioning VERY high contrast, so think black/deep midnight blue/deeeeeeep purples for background fabrics (low-mid volumes are my fave, but solids are good too), and BRIGHT colors for the main elements, but please lean towards pinks and away from red.  




And some sample layouts to give you a sense of what I'm going for...






I hope this sounds like a fun challenge!  I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

No comments: