Thursday, August 1, 2024

Hive 6 - August Tutorial- Barbie's Favorite for Josie

 Hi Barbies!  First time StashBee participant, and I have had SO much fun so far! For August, I'm requesting a straight up explosion of pink. It's my favorite color and I love dynamic, pointy blocks, so I'm asking you all to put on your best Elle Woods glasses and Barbie shades and send some pink my way. We're doing the Mother's Favorite block, and I relied on this tutorial from All People Quilt, which is printable if you'd prefer to do it that way.


For your fabrics - you probably figured this out already - we're going all pink-to-coral.  I lean towards stronger pinks but if you're more of a pastel Barbie, don't let me hold you back.  Corals and light oranges are also a lovely add.  If you're really feeling spicy, you can also add in some touches of green or blue in the prints, but please try to keep pink the dominant color.  For your background color, I'd prefer smaller scale print or solids. If you're second guessing yourself, feel free to send me a pic! Here's what I pulled out of my stash:


Okay, if everyone has gotten their fabrics organized, let's get started!  I usually draft out my quilt plans, and I did so here:


I have done my sample block with four pinks but if you want to add a fifth (maybe you have a fun thing you could frame or fussy cut) in the center, absolutely go nuts. Your cut list is as follows:

  • Pink #1:
    • Cut two 2 7/8" squares, then cut them diagonally into triangles
    • Cut one 4 1/2" square (this is the center and can be changed to an additional fabric)
  • Pink #2: 
    • Cut two 4 7/8" squares, then cut diagonally into triangles
  • Pink #3 (background frame):
    • Cut four 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" rectangles
    • Cut eight 2 1/2" squares
  • Pink #4 (background):
    • Cut four 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" rectangles
    • Cut six 2 7/8" squares, then cut them diagonally into triangles
    • Cut eight 2 1/2" squares

Let's get BLOCKIN'! Grab your Pink #1 triangles and your Pink #4 triangles and sew them together along the diagonal to make four squares.  Press as you like, and trim 'em up.  

Next, add your remaining Pink #4 triangles and sew them on either side of the Pink #1 triangles to make one big triangle.  Press as you like.:
Now that you have your pink Voltron triangle, grab your Pink #2 triangles and sew them together to make a square.  Press as you like.: 

Set those bad boys aside and we're gonna make some flying geese.  One set is Pink #4 rectangles and Pink #3 squares and the second set is Pink #3 rectangles and Pink #4 squares.  I like to mark my diagonals on the back of my squares, and I did all of them in one batch, but if you're confident in your corner to corner sewing, you can skip this step.:

Then you'll start by aligning your squares on one side of your rectangles with the marked line going from the extreme lower left corner of the rectangle to the center.  Sew along your marked line, then trim the excess corner 1/4" from the sewn line.  Press as you like, then do the same process on the right hand side.  Here's my Pink #3 rectangles/Pink #4 squares set:

Once you've done your first set, go ahead and do the same process with the other set.  Here's my Pink #4 rectangles/Pink #3 squares set:

Now that you have your flying geese done and have not been bitten or chased by an actual Canada Goose, you can put these blocks together.  The geese with the Pink #3 rectangles will be on top, and the geese with the Pink #4 rectangles will be on the bottom. It should look kind of like elevator indicator arrows!:
Great news, we've now arrived at the "everything is a square, no more diagonals!" phase! Take all those jawns and line them up into three strips:

Finally, we're going to sew those strips together and VOILA!:

Your finished block should be about 12"x12".  Don't worry about trimming them, I can do that.  Thank you so much for enabling my pinkstravaganza!  


No comments: