Thursday, September 1, 2022

Hive 4 September Tutorial - Paw-in-a-Paw Block

 Hello Hive!

 

Grab all your green scraps for this one. 

 

I’m making a quilt for my son who loves Minecraft and the color green. To keep the look of it evergreen (sort of a pun intended there) I’m looking for other green / low volume blocks to augment the ones I’m making with Minecraft fabric (photo included below). And I’m using a classic block style. It’s an update on a classic bear paw block featuring a mini cub paw in the mama bear paw pad area. 

 

Block 

I’ve asked Katy Cameron of the Littlest Thistle if we can use her block pattern for the Stashbee and she said, Yes!  She created a very easy to follow, step-by-step block that she called Walk in My Footsteps. Adorbs. 

 

Image from The Littlest Thistle for reference (ours will be green and white or low volume)


 

Fabric 

I made this sample block below with scraps of green Moda Grunge and some low-ish volume fabric from Ruby Star Society, and some black and green fabric for the baby bear claws. Please use whatever fabric you have on hand. The green does not have to be a specific shade or anything. The low volume or white fabric gives it a nice contrast to make out the two paws (not achieved so well in my Minecraft version. Sigh.) 

 

Sewing

Luckily, the bear paw block is a classic configuration of HST, strips, and squares. And for this you sort of make it twice. The blog post does an outstanding job of showing each step

 

Fun 

I found these quick and fun to sew together. Hope you do as well. 



Cutting Instructions

This is a 12″ finished block, and to make it you will need to cut the following – note that the colors on the parts refer to the image above.

  • 1 x 4 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ – baby bear paw pad (darker green)
  • 2 x 3″ x 3″ – baby bear claws (dark grey)
  • 2 x 3″ x 3″ – mummy bear paw pad (light green or low volume)
  • 1 x 2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ – mummy bear paw pad (light green or low volume)
  • 1 x 2 1/2″ x 6 1/2″ – mummy bear paw pad (light green or low volume)
  • 1 x 2 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ – mummy bear paw pad (light green or low volume)
  • 2 x 5″ x 5″ – mummy bear claws (apple green)
  • 2 x 5″ x 5″ – background (white or  low volume)
  • 1 x 4 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ – background (while or  low volume)

 

Photos

Please NOTE: these photos are not lit very well. I do believe I captured each step. I’m also including the Minecraft version I made for fun and as a reference. I do not intend for anyone to have or purchase Minecraft fabric. 


Cut squares



Cut strips



Cut more squares



Make HSTs from the squares


Assemble the baby bear paw (lower left) 


Add the strips


Sew the remaining two HST claws to square to make strip (upper)

Add the two outer HSTs claws (lower right)


Sew the HST claws to main and then the top strip to that


Here is the Minecraft version for visual example only


Here are both of them together



Thank you!
Kristin 
@KristinMBeck

No comments: