Thursday, September 1, 2022

Hive 2 - September Tutorial - Square in a Square Block

Hello Bee Mates!  It has been a great year so far with many beautiful blocks.  September should be a quick and easy block.

I am Jan living in SC for the last 3 years.  I've been quilting about 7 years.  This is my 5th year in an online bee hive.

This month is a simple block, the square in a square.  This is my inspiration.  When I looked at this runner I saw square in a square blocks.  Then I saw a blue block with a white center.  Then I saw a white block with a blue center.  It kept changing each time I looked at the runner.





We are making a total of 4 blocks, each 7" x 7" unfinished.

My colors are whites and Teals.  Here are the fabrics from my stash for these blocks.  Please no creams or beige.  Please use different fabrics for each block.  If you don't have different fabric, no problem, please don't sew the 4 blocks together.  I'll mix them in with other blocks.




Yvonne at Quilting Jet Girl has terrific instructions.  I've used these tips and instructions for my blocks!  

 Quilting Jet Girl - Square in a Square

Whatever way works for your blocks, please use.


Each unfinished block will measure 7 x 7.  Please make 4 blocks.  Two with white centers and teal corners and two with teal centers and white corners.  

1 Large Square 5 1/8 x 5 1/8
2 Small Squares 4 1/8 x 4 1/8
The small squares will be cut into triangles










You can see that I oversize my triangles to be sure I have good seam allowances for my points.


Here are my four blocks pieced.  They haven't been sewn together.  They are waiting for their friends!!



To make things easier for each of you and to allow me to mix things up, please do not sew the four blocks together.

Looking forward to seeing all of these blocks!!


No comments: