Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Hive 3 June Tutorial - it’s Winter!

 

Hello Hivemates,

I would like to make a holiday quilt.  I have many smaller blocks of elfs and mini-trees and need some larger blocks to fill it out., I'd like to have you make a 10 inch Holiday tree block.



I'm looking for some fun, so if you don't want to make a tree, any 10 inch holiday themed square would be appreciated.

This tutorial uses those 2.5in strips that we all have laying around:

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/patchwork-christmas-tree-quilt-block-pattern-2821142


Here is the fabric I chose.  I used greens, but feel free to try mixing in more exciting colors.  I like the modern bright fabrics.  I"m not a fan of batiks.

I'm showing 8 strips below, but for one block only 4 2.5 strips of tree fabric are needed.

Doing this project, I realized that I have a lot of polkadot fabric.


The neutral background for the block can be all the same fabric or a variety of neutrals.

I used all the same.

I like ironing and laying everything out.  It is so satisfying!

I had a bit of fun with the tree trunk.











The tutorial shows ways to sew the half square triangles.

You can see how I marked them here:


Then sew on the line and press as you like:


Sew all the pieces together:



Then sew the strips together making sure the tree branches are centered on top of each other:


Mine finished a bit larger than the expected 10 in square.  No need to trim, your choice.

Let me know if you have any questions and Thank You!  Ho Ho Ho!

No comments: