Monday, August 2, 2021

Hive 4 August Tutorial- Disappearing Rail Fence Block

 Hi! I’m Linda Schiffer and I live in Columbia, Maryland, USA. I’ve been making blocks all year for many of you and enjoying the journey. I’ve dithered around for quite a while, trying to decide what block to choose for my turn at Queen this month. With thanks to a dear friend (Barbara B.:), I discovered a great design called Disappearing Rail Fence.



The tutorial is thanks to Creating With Claudia on YouTube.

 


 

The specific tutorial is here.

Fabric Colors:

In the video Claudia uses monochromatic scraps on a white background but I’d prefer something more scrappy and eclectic. I prefer my blocks from you to be mixed in color (rather than Claudia’s monochromatic). 

  • I particularly love bright, rich saturated fabric prints (think Tula Pink or Kaffe Fassett) and interesting backgrounds (such as low volume prints).
  • Bright does not have to mean primary colors only (red. yellow, blue) - I like almost any color (except for neon shades). 
  • If you don’t own bright prints (I know, they’re not everyone’s cup of tea:), use what YOU consider saturated or rich prints from your stash. One of the beauties of a scrappy quilt is that it WILL all work together in the end. :)
  • For the background: Please don’t use white - use a low volume with white or cream background or a light color.

 

Cutting:

The cutting directions are pretty simple. Each 8’5” (unfinished size) block uses twelve (12) rectangles cut 2” x 5”

Sewing:

Follow Claudia’s directions to sew these into four blocks with three rails each. Cut as she explains along the diagonal on each three-rail subunit and re-sew the resulting HSTs to create a block. She suggests pressing seams toward the darker side … but I suspect pressing them open would work, too, if you prefer that. Either way is fine with me.

Please sew together the 4.5” sub-units into the 8.5” (unfinished size) blocks - rather than leave the sub-units single. 

Since these are small blocks, I’d appreciate it if you could make two for me (if you have time), please. 

The scrappier the better, imho. :) I will love whatever you make and look forward to creating a happy, scrappy quilt with all your blocks!

Here is a sample block I made for you to see how truly scrappy I would like your blocks to be.



:) Linda

 

email at lindaschiffer@me.com;

lindaschiffer on IG;

blog at https://seminolelinda.typepad.com/fiber_and_pulp/

No comments: