Sunday, August 1, 2021

Hive 1 August Tutorial - Scrappy Jacobs Ladder Variation

This looked like a good scrap busting pattern so I thought I'd give it a go.  I decided on this block several months ago because I knew July would be very busy.  Who knew my block choice would be so similar to the block Julia just requested!  I hope you enjoy making this variation and I hope your scrap pile decreases a little as a result.


Fabric Selection & Cutting


Please choose a variety of lights, mediums, and darks.  Anything goes!  Solids, prints, old, new, whatever.  I like bold and bright and saturated most of all, but really, I like everything!  I’m open to whatever you have.  My only request is that you please avoid solid black.  


This block requires:


12  2” squares - 6 from a variety of lights  +  6 from a variety of mediums / darks


12  4” squares - 6 from a variety of lights  +  6 from a variety of mediums / darks 


If you don’t have 12 different lights / mediums / darks, please just use whatever you have.  Repeating fabrics is really okay.   


What’s more important to me is that you please follow the placement of lights and mediums / darks when constructing the block.  


To save time cutting, my habit is to pull pieces from my scrap bag, stack and align them on top of each other, press them flat all together, then cut the desired square from all the pieces at once.  I usually stack, press, and cut 4 - 6 fabrics at one time.  I find it's easiest to manipulate scraps in this way rather than starting with bigger pieces.  Cutting multiple squares like this all at once produces the number of needed scrappy pieces very quickly.   


























Piecing


Make 3 four-patch squares using the 2” pieces.

  • Use 2 light squares and 2 med / dark squares for each four-patch.
  • Press to the dark side when possible.

 













Make 6 Half Square Triangle squares using the 4” pieces.


These are super simple to make and if you set yourself up, chain piecing makes them super fast.

  • Use one light 4" square and one med / dark 4" square for each of the HSTs
  • Draw a line diagonally on the wrong side of the six light squares

  • Layer a light square on top of a med/dark square, right sides together
  • Sew a scant 1/4” on both sides of the drawn line

  • Cut apart on the drawn line
  • Press to the dark side


Square Up
  • Square up the four-patches to 3-1/2" aligning the 1-3/4" lines with the center seams
  • Square up the HSTs to 3-1/2” aligning the 45 degree mark on your ruler with the seam line  



Construct the Block


Arrange the four-patches and HSTs into the final layout as shown paying attention to the light and med / dark placement and then sew together.






















I pressed the final two seams open due to the number of overlapping seams.




The unfinished block should measure close to 9-1/2”. 


If you want to send along any leftover HSTs I will use them in the border, but of course you can keep them and use them yourself!  



Thank you so much for contributing your time and fabrics.  I look forward to perusing the scrappy blocks that come from your sewing space to mine. 


  ❤️ Karen 


No comments: