Sunday, August 1, 2021

Hive 5 August Tutorial: Modified Moonlit Tent


Hello fellow quilters!

I went camping for the first time recently, and marveled at how just one day spent in nature could invigorate my spirit so deeply. I'm hoping to go again soon, but the summers in L.A. are so hot that the next time I'll go will likely be in September. To help make the wait for cooler weather seem shorter, I decided that I would work on a camping quilt, made with this fabric my mom gave me from her own stash.

The photo came out darker than the fabric really is. I love all the little details!

The block I've chosen for August is based on the Moonlit Tent by Carolina Moore. I've modified her directions because we'll only be making the tent portion of this block. If you'd like a copy of the full pattern, you have to sign up for her newsletter here.

Moonlit Tent

My test block, tent only :)

For the colors, the tent will be two colors (one light and one dark) that can be pulled from the color palette from the hiking fabric. The colors don't have to be an exact match, just in the family is fine. The darker fabric will be on the left and also be part of the tent flap. The background can be light to medium gray. For the opening in the tent, as most quilters, I'd love a fussy cut. If you can manage a fussy cut, it can be any color, but if you don't have anything you like, black or brown work too.

I'd prefer all the fabrics to be tone-on-tone, but white and black on the color is fine as long as it reads as the main color. I prefer more modern prints and patterns. Please don't use batiks or novelty fabrics.

Some color palettes I generated from my fabric!
Try to stay in these families for the tent colors

I didn't have anything great in my stash,
but these are the ones I pulled that would work

I did have some perfect choices for the gray background though
Your fabrics can even go a bit darker than this

This block uses half-rectangle triangles for the tent. The block designer has a great YouTube video on making half-rectangle triangles.

Cutting Instructions

Tent color 1 (light): 9" x 5"

Tent color 2 (dark): 9" x 5" and 3" x 4"

Inner tent (fussy cut or black/brown): 3" x 3"

Background: 2 - 9" x 5"


Piecing Instructions

  • Draw diagonal lines on the backs of all the tent pieces. For the 9" by 5" pieces, the lines don’t go corner to corner. They start ¼” in from the corner and end ¼” in from the corner.
  • Lay out the rectangles as shown. They will be offset by ¼” on the background piece. Stitch on the line. Trim ¼” away from the stitching line. Open and press toward the dark.

  • Square up the pieces to 8 ½” by 4 ½”. As you square up, you want the seam line at the corner to hit ¼” away from both the top (or bottom) and side edges. You may need to have your ruler at an angle to get these seam allowances.
  • Place the 3” x 4” flap piece as shown. Stitch on the line. Trim ¼” away from the line, open, and press.
  • Place the 3” by 3” flap piece as shown. Stitch on the line. Trim ¼” away from the line, open and press.
I personally had some issues with these last two steps.
The 3x4 rectangle doesn't necessarily hit the midline 3" up,
but if yours doesn't, you can just line up the upper left corner
of your 3x3 square with wherever the rectangle hits the midline
  • Now just sew the two sides together and you're done!

I can't wait to see all your blocks! Thank you!





No comments: