Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Hive 3 September Tutorial: Summer Pinwheels



Hive 3: September Block - Summer Pinwheels


 Hello to Hive Three from Robyn!

This is my first year to do Stash Bee.  My daughter (Megan Vaughn, also of this hive!) participated last year and had such fun I decided to join her.  What a year to start!  I truly have had to shop my stash, as our favorite local fabric store did not last through the COVID-19 quarantines.  I miss being able to drive just a couple miles to pick up a fat quarter or two.
Anyway, my choice for September is a simple pinwheel block, in cheerful summery colors.  I like to change out small quilts on a wall in my dining room, and I don't have a fun summer quilt. So you all get to help me remedy that situation!  My pinwheels will be set on point, surrounded by white.
 

This block is 5" finished, 5 1/2" with seam allowances. Because it uses half-square triangles, you will have enough squares to make two blocks for me.

Fabrics:

Background is white.  You can use solid white or white on whites, but please don't use creams or multi-color prints.

The colors are clear, summer picnic colors:
    * perky yellow            *cherry red
    * guacamole green    * royal blue

    * aqua/turquoise blue 





Cutting:

Pick 4 colors, plus your white (I show two colorways I selected)

From white, cut 4 - 3 1/2" squares
From each of 4 colors, cut 1 - 3 1/2" square

8 squares total




Construction:

Make Half Square Triangle squares - 
Using your preferred method, mark the back of each white square at a diagonal. I like to use the handy little tool in photo on right to  mark the center and the stitching lines.  Some people mark just the center, or press the square in half and use the fold line.  
Stitch 1/4" to side of center mark, cut in half, and press open. (I would prefer if you press the seams open, but if you are a die hard side presser that's okay too.)




You should have 8 half square triangle blocks. 
Trim each block to 3" square.

 
















Make Pinwheel blocks - 
Lay out your Half Square Triangle blocks into 4 Pinwheels.  Please notice the direction of the pinwheel vanes in the photo below.  I would like all my pinwheels to be spinning the same direction!




After your pinwheels are arranged, sew two squares together in pairs, pressing seams open. 




Then sew your pairs into quads, matching the center points.  Press open again and voila!  A pair of cheery pinwheels!  




Trim your blocks to 5 1/2" square if needed.

Thanks so much!  I look forward to collecting your blocks! 




No comments: