Saturday, August 1, 2020

Hive 3 August tutorial: Christmas Trees


Hive 3 August Tutorial:


Hello!

This month I have a pieced block (with a tiny appliqué) for you to work on. My son goes to a charter school where most of the funding is raised by the parents. Last year their theme was the Age of Sail and I made a compass rose quilt to auction off.

 

I have been planning on using my bee month as a big head start for this year’s quilt… however this virus has gotten in the way of knowing how our school will look in the future. Regardless, I thought I’d still make a quilt to auction for the school, but without a theme for the year, I’m making something that I think will appeal to the vast majority of the school. With this being said, my block is a Christmas tree block. I plan on making two vertical rows on a minimalist background of Christmas trees. There will be 5 large trees and 8 smaller ones running parallel. It is your choice on the size you’d like to make. If possible, I would prefer you to use Kona white for the background, but if you don’t have it, I understand, any white will do. For the trees, please use your happiest holiday fabric. The trunk will be brown; you can choose if it’s a solid or a print.  Thank you so much for helping me with my fundraising endeavors! Any extra blocks that don’t make it to the front, will be put on the back with the kids in the school being able to decorate around them. J


Sarah’s Christmas Tree Block



Option 1: 6" X 8" block

CUT:

White Fabric:
a. 1- 2.5" x 6"
b. 2- 3.25" x 1.5"
c. 4- 2.75" x 1.5"
d. 2- 2.25" x 1.5"
e. 2- 1.75 x 1.5"
f. 1- 1.5" x 6"

Christmas Fabric:
g. 1- 2.5" x 1.5"
h. 1- 3.5" x 1.5"
i. 1- 4.5" x 1.5" 
j. 1- 5.5" x 1.5"

Brown Fabric:
k. 1- 1.5" x 1.5"

Scrap of yellow for the star
Option 2: 11.5" X 14.5" block

CUT:

White Fabric:
a. 1- 3" x 11.5"
b. 2- 6" x 2.5"
c. 4- 5" x 2.5"
d. 2- 4" x 2.5"
e. 2- 3 x 2.5"
f. 1- 2.5" x 11.5"

Christmas Fabric:
g. 1- 4.5" x 2.5"
h. 1- 6.5" x 2.5"
i. 1- 8.5" x 2.5" 
j. 1- 10.5" x 2.5"

Brown Fabric:
k. 1- 2.5" x 2.5"

Scrap of yellow for the star

To begin:
Arrange your cut fabric like below:



Next, take fabric b and you will snowball the corner to fabric g, as shown:




Repeat with your other fabric b to g:    


This should give you a nice little tree top. Continue snowballing your white to the holiday fabric for the remainder of the tree;
  

Now that your tree is in strips, sew fabric c to k to c to make the trunk. You should now have 7 strips of fabric. Please sew all 7 strips together as you have them laid out.
From this to this:       


Lastly, your little tree needs a star. I drew a primitive star on a yellow scrap fabric and appliquéd it on top of my tree. I used the same size for both the little and big trees. Here’s an example of what I did, you may choose whatever primitive star looks best for you. 














Thank you so much for making me a tree block, I really appreciate you!
~ Sarah @ Snaphorse_quilts


No comments: