Saturday, August 1, 2020

Hive 1 August Tutorial- Blue and White Churn Dash

Hello all,

I’ve always wanted to do a blue and white quilt so this is the time.  It’s a simple Churn Dash block and nothing you haven’t done a million times.   My fabric pull is pictured below.  Light blues up through a Williamsburg blue.   Please don’t include navy, royal blue, novelty prints or batiks.  The background should be white on white.   (The picture may look more gray than it actually is, but you know the blues I’m talking about)


In blue you will need:

(2)  3 7/8” squares
(4)  2 x 3 1/2” rectangles

In white you will need:

(2)  3 7/8” squares
(4)  2 x 3 1/2” rectangles
(1)  3 1/2” square


Pair the white and blue 3 7/8” squares, right sides together, drawing a diagonal line on the back of the white on white square.  Sew 1/4” on either side of the diagonal line.  Cut on the line, making four half square triangles.   Trim to 3 1/2”.  Sew together the white and blue rectangles.  Press all to the blue.   (I probably could have just said “Make HST’s” but wanted to make sure it was easy).  Put together in rows like the picture below.  The block should measure 9 1/2”.


And, as the saying goes, Bob”s your uncle.  (Does anyone know where that expression came from?)

I hope this feels simple and easy for all of you.  There has been a pretty hot and humid stretch in Maine, with no signs of it changing any time soon, so it should get you in and out of your sewing room quickly.  Unless yours has AC, which mine doesn’t.  I’d be living there if it did.   And I hope this finds you healthy and safe.   The silver lining for me is that I can actually see my cutting table for the first time in quite a while.  Take care everyone!  Marie Doyle

1 comment:

Joan Hannes said...

Hi Marie,
This was just what I needed for this afternoon! It went together well, then I saw the selvedge on the white block 😩😩😩. I did another real quick, maybe you can make it work. Stay cool. Joan