Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Hive 4 July Tutorial - Let's go Scrappy!

Scrappy Block

Hello to all.  I'm RobinSue - recently retired from teaching, living in Southern California with my husband, daughter (temporarily back home) and our dog.  Half a year gone & it feels so much longer.  I don't know about you, but I've doing a lot of sewing and quilting, hence, tons of scraps!  One day I couldn't take it anymore and decided it was time to tame these scraps. So many, where did they come from?

I designed a block to tame these scraps and use up the bits that have been lingering for years.   The block is quick to make, and I know yours will be beautiful.

No special colors, this is scrappy.  Have fun!

Correction:  1.5 x 2.5 is either print or solid.
Then again, it's scrappy!
(Note to self: Don't write instructions while watching TV, seriously).

Correction:  
It's easiest to follow the photos - I am not picky about low volume vs. solid vs print for the 1.5 x 2.5.  Feel free to mix.
In the solid rows, the 2.5 square can be either solid or low volume.  

Both drawings are the same block drawn in reverse layout.

First sew 1.5 x 2.5 to 2.5 x 4.5
Then join to 5.5 to make columns.


 
Sew the 2.5 squares into a column.


Nest the seams.

Finished Block!

Pressed to the center.

Same block in reverse order
I'm a visual learner so I drew this out.



I hope this inspires you to use those bits and pieces.
RobinSue


No comments: