Saturday, June 1, 2019

Hive 4 - June Block Tutorial for Gayle - Rolling Stone


Hi, I am Gayle, and this is my fourth year in Stash Bee. I enjoy making all the different blocks and of course liking when it is my month to choose. I live in Austin, TX with my husband and two cats and have a 24 year old son who recently has moved out on his own!



The block I picked is know by various names but I will use the Rolling Stone name. I scaled it up to a 15 inch block (15 1/2 inch unfinished).

You will need four different fabrics. So pick one cool color, like blue, green, purple or turquoise. You will need amounts of three different shades, a light, medium and dark value. And then white solid or white on white for the background. The cool color you choose can be blenders, tone on tone or multi color prints as long as it reads mostly the one color you picked. It is fine if you need to use a solid, but I really like prints, so just one please if you need to (not counting the white). Below are examples.



Of the Medium value: cut 1 - 5 1/2 inch square (center square)
The light value: cut 4 - 3 by 5 1/2 inch rectangles
The dark value: cut 4 - 4 inch squares




White: Cut 4 - 3 by 5 1/2 inch rectangles
            Cut 8 - 3 1/2 inch squares, then cut diagonally once for 16 half square triangles 



Assembly instructions:

Sew 2 white triangles on opposite sides of the dark squares, centering long edge of triangle over the square. Hint, can be easier if you pinch each fabric in half to make a slight mark for matching. Press, then sew the other two opposite sides. You will have 4 square in a square that should measure 5 1/2 inches square. If it is slightly larger, trim down to a centered 5 1/2 inches which will also trim off the dog ears.



Sew 1 light rectangle to 1 white rectangle for 4 units.

Assemble as a nine patch.


Thank you and hope you have fun with this block!



No comments: