Friday, March 1, 2019

Hive 5 March Tutorial - Double X

Hi everyone.  This is my first year in the Bee and I've been busy testing out lots of possible blocks for my month!  What fun that has been.  Practicality won out in the end, though.  Years ago I made a set of six inch Double X blocks for a mini quilt. A traditional block done in solids for a modern flair. I liked them a lot so decided I wanted to make more for an actual lap quilt.  I did a few then got distracted by other projects.....a problem I have!  LOL!   Fast forward to now and my decision to have y'all help me get this project going again.

This is the Double X block:

I'm not sure how much direction y'all need because its super easy.  I hope the following is enough.

Fabrics:
I want only solids. Main color in sea/sea glass hues with white solid (not a white on white print). Please keep the blocks to one color, not scrappy.

You'll be making me a 9" finished block.

Cutting directions:
From sea/sea glass solid color:

  • 3 - 3.5 inch squares
  • 3 - 4 inch squares

From white solid:
  • 3 - 4 inch squares


On the 3 white squares draw a diagonal line:


Pair with a color square and sew 1/4 inch on each side of the drawn line.  


Cut apart on the diagonal drawn line. Press open.  Square down to 3.5 inches.  


If you prefer a different method for making the six half square triangles, please use it.  I don't care how you do it.  😊

Arrange pieces like this...be careful of the orientation of the white:
Sew just like you would a nine patch. I pressed most of my seams open. (The exceptions were that when I could press to a plain solid square I did)

Voila! You're done.  Your block should measure 9.5 inches.
Thank you so much!
Cindy 😘

No comments: