Friday, March 1, 2019

Hive 4 March Tutorial - X & +

Good Morning, all!
I'm ready for spring as I'm sure you are too, and my block this month reflects that I think.  I'd love you to do an "X & +" block this month.  I first heard of this block a couple of years ago and am finally hoping to get a quilt done, with your help.  It's a very simple block and looks more difficult than it actually is.  The quilt will be in green, gray and white and my fabric pull is the first photo.  Think spring greens like you see when the trees first bud out.


You will need:

A.  (8)  2 1/2" squares, please use white on white
B.  (4)  4 1/2" squares for the cross pieces
C.  (1)  2 1/2" x 6 1/2" rectangle for the plus
D.  (2)  2 1/2" squares for the plus, same fabric as C
E.  (4)  2 1/2" squares for the ends of the plus  (should be a contrasting fabric so the "plus" stands out)

Take the 8 white on white squares and draw a diagonal on the back.  Place this on two corners of your "B" pieces, as shown in the 2nd photo.  Stitch on the drawn lines, then cut, leaving a 1/4" seam.  Press out the triangle.  (Photo 3)





Make 4.  Take two of the "E" squares and sew them to both sides of the "C" rectangle.  Take the remaining two "E" squares and sew them to the two "D" squares.  Arrange the pieces as shown in photo 4 and sew together as you would a 9-patch.  The block should measure 10 1/2".  The two I made are in photo 5 as an example.  And the inspiration for this quilt is photo 6.  Please feel free to use the greens, grays and whites in any way you choose.

I was up at 3:30 AM and decided to put this tutorial together, so I won't be surprised if you have questions.  Heres hoping it makes sense, but feel free to ask anything.  Happy Spring!







No comments: