Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Hive 5 May 2018 Tutorial: Star Block Choose Your Own Adventure



My name is Julia and I’m a librarian living in the Boston area. This month’s block is a bit of a choose your own adventure. I love star blocks and the night sky. I’ve planned various star quilts but can never decide on what block to use. So, inspired by T's post last year I’m asking my hive to choose a star block they want to make. I’m including links to some of my favorites but feel free to make any star block that you love.
I’m thinking of a twilight quilt. My fabric pull/palette is a deep blue background and yellows for the star. You can make the block scrappy, use fabric with metallic accents, use solids, use multiple prints, low volume or high contrast. Whatever inspires you.


Any size block is fine with me. In terms of how many to send, it depends on the size.


Make one if your block 10" or larger


Make two if your block is 6"-8"


Make four if your block is 5" or smaller






Here is my fabric pull







Here are a few of my favorite star block tutorials
  • Thought and Found created a quilt-a-long called Oh My Stars that has tutorials for a variety of star blocks.
  • Here is a ribbon star block tutorial by Becky of Patchwork Posse
  • This tutorial is for a 12.5" wonky star block. Created by Victoria Gertenbach of Silly Boo Dilly and is based on Gwen Marston's liberated star.
  • A tutorial by Lynn Carson Harris for little star blocks based on the tutorial above
  • Cath Hall of Wombat Quilts has created an array of beautiful paper pieced star blocks that are available to download from her site.
  • This is a great way to make a LeMoyne Star from Natalia Bonner & Kathleen Whiting's blog Piece N Quilt.
  • This tutorial by Bec of Chasing Cottons makes a friendship star with a cute fussy cut center
  • This tutorial will give you a block with one or two wonky stars. It's created by Dominique of Running Thimble.


1 comment:

Valorie Webster said...

Hi Julia! I, too, love stars, so this one will be fun! I hope you were not confused by my IG post that I was mailing wonky stars out today. They are for another swap...I was a day over the deadline! There was some confusion voiced to me on IG, as I also was mailing May's Stash Bee block, so I hashtagged it too! May should not have me running behind so much! Fingers crossed!
Happy stars to you for May!
Valorie
@facetfully